Salads are often thought of as healthy, but boring but this three bean salad recipe is neither of those things. It's a delicious, nutritious dish that's perfect for a summer barbecue or potluck. And it's easy to make, too! So if you're looking for a new go-to salad recipe, this is it.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- It's easy to make and only requires a few ingredients to make this salad.
- This dish is always a crowd favorite at potlucks and family gatherings.
- Fresh taste and whole fashioned flavor that even the pickiest of easter will enjoy.
This Three Bean Salad is the perfect side dish for your next summer cookout! It's easy to make, and it's sure to be a hit with your guests. Plus, it's a great way to get your veggies in!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Note: The full list of this recipe ingredients with their amounts and options are listed in the recipe card below.
- French Cut Green Beans
- Yellow Wax Beans
- Red Kidney Beams
- Lima Beans
- Green Pepper
- Red Onion
- Granulated Sugar
- White Vinegar
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Celery Seeds
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Slice peppers, celery and onions into even strips.
- Drain all the beans well.
- Combine the beans, green pepper, and celery in a large bowl.
- Add sliced onions to the bean mixture.
- In a small saucepan add sugar and salt and set the heat to medium.
- Add in the vinegar, and oil then stir to combine.
- Next, measure and add in the black pepper. Use a restaurant grade or fresh cracked pepper for best flavor.
- Lastly, stir in the celery seeds.
- Once the sugar has completely dissolved, remove the sauce from the heat.
- Allow the dressing to cool for about five minutes.
- Pour the dressing over the bean and vegetables.
- Toss until well combined and chill in the fridge overnight.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant i the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You’ll need the following items to make this recipe successfully.
- Glass Mixing Bowl
- Sharp Knife
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Spoons
- Dry Measuring Cup
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Can Opener
- Wooden mixing spoon
These are the questions we are most frequently asked about making the Old Fashioned Three Bean Salad Recipe.
Three bean salad recipe is usually made of wax beans, green beans and kidney beans, along with onions and a delicious and tangy marinade.
Three bean salad can be stored in the fridge for up to five days.
It is packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, which makes it good for your health. Bean salad is also a good source of protein and fiber, which can help keep you feeling full and satisfied after eating it.
Yes, you can freeze 3 bean salad. However, it is not recommended to do so. Freezing the salad may change the texture and flavor of the ingredients.
- For even more protein and fiber add an extra can of beans to this salad.
- While this salad is marinating in the fridge, give it a stir a couple times to make sure that all the vegetables and beans stay well coated in the dressing.
- Before serving, give this salad a quick stir.
- For easy marinating you can store this salad in a ziptop storage bag and give it a good shake every few hours.
- If you would like to add some extra color and flavor to your three bean salad recipe, consider using cherry tomatoes or diced avocado.
- If you don’t like green peppers, try using another type of pepper, or omit it altogether.
- Don’t like celery? Leave it out or replace it with another crunchy vegetable like carrots or radishes.
- Add some spice to this salad by mixing in sliced jalapeños while it's marinating.
Store three bean salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
📗 Related Recipes
- Ramen Broccoli Slaw is simple to make, and filled with delicious fresh flavor.
- Tomato Cucumber Salad is a healthy and tasty side that takes only minutes to prepare.
- Lemon Basil Farfalle Salad is simple and flavorful, and pairs perfectly with just about any main dish.
🍽 Serve with
- Grilled Pork Kebabs are simple to make, and pair perfectly with this easy salad.
- Dutch Oven Bread has quickly become one of my favorite breads to make for any meal!
- Strawberry Mousse is a smooth and creamy dessert that is always a hit and can easily be doubled or tripled to feed more people.
📞 Chiacchierata (chat)
This is our Grandma Wilhelmina’s Three Bean Salad recipe she’d make for every gathering. She actually added an additional can of beans to the dish because she loved beans! She liked adding red onion to the recipe instead of the white. Her sweet tangy vinaigrette dressing is just the right touch for the recipe.
We love our backyard barbecues and this Antipasto Italian Potato Salad is one we know you'll love serving to your family and friends.
And if you're searching for another delicious potluck and picnic classic, our Ultimate Hamburger Baked Beans is it. Both children and adults love this outdoor standard side.
What's new? Check out my All Our Way Store on Amazon. We'll be adding more items we love and use or wish we had to make cooking fun and easy.
📝 Recipe Card
Who knew that three little beans could be so flavorful? This simple salad is a powerhouse of taste and texture, and it comes together in a snap. Perfect for a summer picnic or potluck, this dish will leave your guests asking for seconds.
Usually picnic feature a sweet version of baked beans. But if you'd like to try a savory version that is out-of-this-world good, you have to sample our Fagioli Al Forno. This is a baked version of the classic Italian soup, Pasta e Fagioli.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.
Grandma Minnie's Old Fashioned Three Bean Salad Recipe
- 1 can French Cut Green Beans Del Monte (14.5 ounce can)
- 1 can Yellow Wax Beans Del Monte (14.5 ounce can)
- 1 can Red Kidney Beans Bush brand (16 ounce can)
- 1 can Lima Beans Del Monte Fresh Cut (15.25 ounce can)
- ½ cup Green pepper thinly sliced
- ¾ cup Celery chopped
- ½ cup Red onion thinly sliced
- ⅔ cup Granulated sugar
- ½ cup White vinegar
- ½ cup Vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper We prefer the thicker restaurant grade
- 1 teaspoon Celery seeds
- Drain the beans well.
- Combine the beans, green pepper, celery, and onion in a glass bowl
- In a small saucepan heat all of the dressing ingredients until the sugar is dissolved. Let the dressing cool for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the still hot dressing over the beans and toss to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or put in an airtight container.
- Refrigerate overnight turning or stirring occasionally.
- navy beans
- chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- black beans
- cannellini beans
- corn would look great for some color addition