Homemade Hummus is quick and easy to make, calling for a handful of ingredients with mouth-watering flavor and a creamy consistency.
This Mediterranean dip boasts healthy ingredients. It's also vegan-friendly, gluten-free, and dairy-free! Serve homemade hummus with your favorite finger foods as a snack or party appetizer.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- This hummus dip is easy to make with minimal ingredients!
- This dip has a smooth and creamy texture which is ideal for dipping into with finger foods as a delicious party appetizer or snack.
- This delicious hummus boasts healthy ingredients and has a high nutritional value.
Nothing quite compares to this smooth and creamy homemade hummus with nutty tahini and lemony flavor! It's hard to believe that beans make such a delicious spread and that it's good for you too.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Note: The full list of this recipe ingredients with their amounts and options are in the recipe card below.
- Chickpeas - we used the canned variety but you make this recipe from dried chickpeas or garbanzo beans.
- Lemon -- fresh lemon juice tastes the best.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Add the tahini and lemon juice to a blender and blend for 2 minutes.
- Add the cumin, olive oil, and garlic cloves (roasted garlic, if you prefer). Blend for a minute.
- Add half of the drained chickpeas. Blend for a minute.
- Add the other half of the chickpeas. Blend for another minute.
- Scrape the sides of the blender down and add the water slowly with the blender running to achieve a creamy consistency.
- Season with salt and add a few finishing touches such as drizzled olive oil, whole chickpeas, and a sprinkle of cumin or cayenne pepper.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You’ll need the following items to make this recipe successfully.
These are the questions we are most frequently asked about making our Homemade Hummus recipe.
Fresh homemade hummus will last for up to 5 days in the fridge.
Yes! This easy hummus recipe is naturally vegan-friendly and ideal for a gluten-free diet.
Yes! It will last for up to 4 months in the freezer.
No. I haven’t peeled the garbanzo beans when making this homemade hummus recipe, and the consistency is still creamy. Peeling your chickpeas is an option if you’d prefer the consistency to be incredibly creamy and smooth, but this can be a tedious task, and you can expect to add another 10-15 minutes to the prep time if you remove the chickpea skins.
Hummus is a great source of plant-based protein and healthy dietary fiber. This dip also contains vitamins, magnesium, potassium, and iron.
Homemade hummus is always better than store-bought hummus or other store-bought varieties.
Yes! This delicious dip is a staple food of the Mediterranean diet.
Authentic hummus is traditionally served with flatbread such as pita, naan, and raw vegetables as a dip.
- Add a small amount of extra virgin olive oil to stored hummus if the consistency has thickened.
- Add the water to the blended mixture slowly while the blender is running. I’ve used 4-5 tablespoons of water, which can be adjusted depending on the desired consistency.
- Scrape the sides of the high-powered blender down with a rubber spatula after the chickpeas have been blended. This will help incorporate any unblended pieces of chickpeas into the mixture for further blending for a smooth and creamy consistency.
- To reduce the sodium in this homemade hummus, consider boiling dried chickpeas instead of canned chickpeas.
- For added flavor, roast the fresh garlic cloves before combining them with the other ingredients.
- Use remaining chickpea canned liquid instead of water for additional flavor in the hummus. Don't do this if you want the sodium level to be low.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper and a dash of your favorite hot sauce to this homemade hummus for a kick of heat.
- Garnish the hummus with sesame seeds and a drizzle of olive oil.
Leftover hummus can be stored in its serving bowl or an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Pressing plastic wrap down against the hummus will help to preserve the hummus.
This hummus can also be stored in the freezer in a Ziploc bag or airtight container for up to 4 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and stir the hummus before serving.
📗 Related Recipes
- Baba Ghanoush | Mediterranean Smokey Creamy Eggplant Dip - This is another Mediterranean dip recipe consisting of eggplant. This dip has a creamy texture with a smoky and garlic flavor - ideal with flatbread and raw veggies.
- Baked Goat Cheese Marinara Dip With Caramelized Onions - This baked goat cheese dip is smooth and creamy with marinara sauce and caramelized onions. Spread a generous amount over toasted bread and crackers.
- Easy Creamy Guacamole Salsa Recipe - Guacamole salsa dip is rich and creamy, taking less than 5 minutes to make!
🍽 Serve with
📞 Chiacchierata (chat)
For years we've been buying hummus at our favorite Middle Eastern grocery store. And everyone loved the taste and texture.
That evening I was planning on serving some hummus with our homemade flatbread and assorted vegetables. I thought I had a full container in the garage fridge. To my surprise, I didn't.
What I did have was two cans of chickpeas in the pantry and the motivation to find a recipe I could use to make Homemade hummus.
As they say, necessity is the mother of invention. According to a family and friends vote - that was the BEST hummus EVER! From that time on I haven't bought any more hummus from the store.
Tutti a tavolo, è pronto!
What's new? Check out my All Our Way Store on Amazon. We'll be adding more items we love and use or wish we had to make cooking fun and easy.
📝 Recipe Card
Homemade hummus is a traditional Mediterranean dish - the perfect addition to other party appetizers and snacks. The tahini provides a nutty flavor, while the fresh lemon juice balances the dip and adds a touch of freshness. Enjoy this creamy dip with flatbread, raw veggies, crackers, and pretzels.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.
The Best 5-Minute Mediterranean Hummus Recipe
- ½ Cup Tahini
- ½ Cup Lemon Juice freshly squeezed
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 30 oz Chickpeas 2 (15 oz.) Cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 4-5 Tablespoons Water
- Salt to taste
- Add the tahini and lemon juice to a blender, or food processor and blend for 2 minutes.
- Next add the garlic cloves, olive oil and cumin. Blend again for another minute.
- Add half of the chickpeas, and blend for 1 minute, then add the other half and blend again for another minute. Scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Add the water, slowly, until you get a nice creamy consistency that you’re happy with.
- Season with salt, to taste and serve with your favorite chips, veggies.