Italian sausage pasta is one of the quickest penne pasta recipes that you’ll find. You mix it, cook it, and serve it in less than 20 minutes. And if that’s not enough to make this one of your favorite pasta with Italian sausage recipes, you only have one skillet to clean. The ingredients are bare minimum although the one-pot dinner is loaded with flavor. The hot Italian sausage is spicy and the diced tomatoes and sauce infuse the penne pasta with a delightful piquancy. You won’t be able to stop nibbling on the delicious pasta. This is comfort food at its best! Ease and taste, it doesn’t get better than this. Give it a try, we promise you’ll be completely satisfied. 😊
For this recipe, you will need hot Italian pork sausage, onion, Diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and tomatoes, tomato sauce, penne pasta, water, Parmesan cheese.
One pot Italian sausage pasta the importance of the meat
This is a simple one pot dinner dish that relies solely on the quality of the ingredients. The most important ingredient is the sausage. Did you think I was going to say pasta? Well, a good quality penne pasta is second in importance. It’s the hot Italian pork sausage that gives this easy recipe its amazing taste.
Can you substitute with another type of meat?
You could, but then you wouldn’t have Italian sausage pasta or the fabulous seasoning that comes with that meat.
A good alternate that we’ve found is the spicy seasoned Italian chicken sausage. That would be excellent in this recipe.
If you or your family don’t like spicy food you could get a milder Italian sausage and it would still be good. We bought our sausage in bulk — you could buy the links and remove the casing.
The penne for a one-pot pasta recipe
We used imported Italian penne pasta for this recipe. Again, it’s the quality of the ingredients that makes the recipe so delicious.
The ingredients in the pasta.
- What wheat the pasta maker uses makes a big difference. At your favorite grocery store, look at the ingredients that are printed on the pasta boxes. The pasta we used had only two ingredients — organic durum wheat semolina and water.
- The water that the pasta maker uses is also important. Our brand takes pure mountain spring water that produces a fine dough. You don’t want any “off” tastes coming from the water.
- Another old world practice that the artisan pasta makers use is to extrude the dough through bronze dies to create a rough texture.
Why you want a rough texture on your pasta:
- cooks to al dente every time.
- holds the sauce beautifully.
Here’s a good place to learn a little bit more about the history of pasta.
The tomatoes for the pasta with the Italian sausage
If you start with quality seasoned canned tomatoes and a good brand tomato sauce you’re recipe will be a success.
The ingredients already have salt in them so we didn’t find it necessary to add any more.
We did add a pinch of hot pepper flakes just because. 🌶😉 The pasta really didn’t need it, we just like it spicy.
Once we had all the ingredients together, the dish cooked up quickly! This is one meal that will become a regular at our house. I wish our kids and grandkids would have been around to taste it. 😋
And speaking of tasting, Honey said he had to do some quality control once I was done with the one-pot Italian Sausage Pasta. But I don’t think he had to do it five times, do you? In fact, I had to remove the temptation away from him or we wouldn’t have had dinner that evening. 😂
The final ingredient – parmesan cheese
Once the pasta absorbs all of the liquid and it turns into a yummy sauce, the one-pot dinner is done.
Sprinkle 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese over the penne pasta recipe and stir in.
That’s it! You’re done!
You can make it ahead of time — the dish tastes great reheated.
I made this recipe early in the afternoon and I reheated it later that evening. It tasted just as good as when I first made it. Nope, not just as, it was even better!
We hope you make this one pot recipe. We can guarantee that it’ll become a favorite. Just keep the simple ingredients in your pantry, well not the sausage, but the rest and you’ll always be able to whip up a delicious dish at a moments notice.
Tutti a tavola è pronto! 😃
Un caro saluto, e alla prossima.
FOR THIS RECIPE YOU MAY NEED:
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thank you for being a part of All Our Way.
This brand of penne pasta is similar to the one we use. Spending a bit more for pasta makes such a difference. The pasta is exactly like it should be, al dente and holding the delicious sauce and sausage. This order comes in 5 – 1 pound packages. At the time we only bought a 1-pound package. Do you have a favorite brand?
Italian Sausage Pasta A Zesty 20 Minute One-Pot Dinner
Every now and then you come across a recipe that is not only easy but also tastes like you spent hours preparing it. Common ingredients will give you a one-skillet penne pasta dinner that will become a family favorite. You can make this ahead of time. Just warm it in the oven and serve. Just add a salad and some fresh bread to the meal and you have an incredible one pot dinner with little effort.
If you like this recipe, please consider giving it a 5-star rating.
ITALIAN SAUSAGE PASTA A ZESTY 20 MINUTE ONE-POT DINNER
- 3/4 lb Hot Italian pork sausage broken into pieces
- 1/2 onion minced
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes Seasoned with basil, garlic, oregano, undrained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 8 oz penne pasta uncooked
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add broken sausage and minced onion; cook about 5 minutes. With a wooden spoon keep the sausage in pieces. Drain and return to skillet.
- Add the undrained tomatoes, sauce, water, red pepper flakes, and penne pasta to the pan. Stir to combine and bring the liquid to a boil. Cover the pan and reduce the heat.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve with more parmesan cheese, if desired.
IF YOU LIKED THIS ONE-PAN ITALIAN SAUSAGE PASTA, YOU MAY LIKE . . .
Other recipes you may like . . .
Turkey Taco Skillet — The Pioneer Woman
One Skillet Tuscan Chicken — Delicious Meets Healthy