Spinach Tortellini in Light Homemade Alfredo Sauce is a creamy colorful pasta dish. The homemade sauce is lower in calories than the original parmesan-cream sauce but it doesn’t sacrifice flavor. Fresh baby spinach ribbons and slivers of sun-dried tomatoes add additional color to the green pasta and garlic-cheese sauce. This one-pan dish is on the table in less than 30 minutes. Quick and easy meets rich and tasty.
For this recipe, you will need spinach tortellini, unsalted butter, fresh garlic, flour, heavy cream, salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese, chicken broth, baby spinach, sun-dried tomatoes.
Fresh spinach tortellini pasta versus dried
In this recipe, we preferred using fresh tortellini rather than dried. We wanted a recipe we could make in a short amount of time so we picked a refrigerated variety.
Interestingly enough, I wanted to check and see what the experts said about the quality of the dried versus the fresh. What I found out surprised me! The testers took 3 frozen, 3 dried, and 3 refrigerated tortellini pasta and did quality tests.
What they found out surprised me!!????
What they looked for:
- quality of the pasta wrapper
- the quantity of filling
- flavor of the tortellini
- the texture of the pasta
The winner of the test was a dried three cheese tortellini pasta. The experts agreed that a flavorful filling proved more important than the type of pasta. This is great news for me because I like having tortellini as a pantry staple.
Preparing the spinach tortellini
Whenever we make pasta we always look at the directions and subtract 2 minutes, even more. If it’s going to be a one-pan dish it will continue to cook.
Another important step in preparing pasta is to make sure the water is salted. By salted the saying is as salty as the sea.
Once the water comes to a boil, we turn it down to a simmer. If the water is boiling profusely, the tortellini could fall apart. I’d certainly be upset ???? if my spinach tortellini fell apart.
A spider makes it easy to gently lift the pasta out of the water and transfer them to a glass dish with a bit of olive oil in it. The olive oil will prevent the delicate pasta from sticking to each other.
Now is the time to start on the sauce.
Time to make the light homemade Alfredo Sauce
We made this recipe for a Facebook Live last week. We needed a quick delicious recipe and this fit the bill. If you’d like to see the video, you can find it here.
The creamy garlic-parmesan sauce comes together very quickly. Have all the ingredients measured and ready to go. This homemade Alfredo sauce is so quick and easy you won’t have time to stop and measure.
- The garlic goes into butter for a minute or so and then a
- A light dusting of flour over the melted butter and garlic whisking until it becomes pasty and begins to smell deliciously nutty.
- Whisk in the heavy cream and part of the chicken broth.
- Stir in the spinach and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Gently fold in the spinach tortellini
Your exquisite dish is ready to plate and eat. All this is done in 30 minutes or less. We know you’ll love the rich taste of the Spinach Tortellini and you’ll love even more how easy it is. If you love pasta dishes like our ravioli, we linked to more down below.
Tutti a tavola è pronto!
Un caro saluto e alla prossima.
YOU MAY NEED …
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Grazie for being a part of All Our Way!
We love our pasta pot and when we’re home we always use it along with the spider. It’s only when you don’t have the little conveniences that you have to make do. The over-the-sink strainer is great.
Spinach Tortellini in Light Homemade Alfredo Sauce
This spinach tortellini one-pan recipe is incredibly easy but the delicious garlicky homemade Alfredo Sauce gives the dish a rich creamy taste without a lot of calories. The sun-dried tomatoes and fresh baby spinach give the pasta recipe an additional layer of flavor. I’m certain this will be a family favorite.
If you like this recipe please give it a 5-star rating.
Spinach Tortellini in Light Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- 9 oz. spinach tortellini
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup chicken broth separated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 5 oz. baby spinach coarsely chopped
- 7 oz. sun-dried tomatoes (jar)
- Boil the spinach tortellini 2 minutes less than the package directions.
- While the tortellini are cooking, start on the sauce. Over medium heat, melt the butter in a large skillet. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Whisk in the flour and keep stirring until it's absorbed and becomes pasty and smells nutty.
- Slowly whisk in the cream until it is smooth. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and whisk until combined.
- Add the salt and Parmesan cheese. Allow it to simmer until thickened. About 2-3 minutes. If it seems too thick add another 1/4 cup chicken broth.
- Stir in the spinach and sun-dried tomatoes. Transfer the drained tortellini to the skillet and gently stir to coat the pasta with the sauce. Serve immediately.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Promise
IF YOU LIKED THIS SPINACH TORTELLINI WITH HOMEMADE ALFREDO SAUCE RECIPE YOU MAY ALSO LIKE . . .
OTHER RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE . . .
Orecchiette with Cherry Tomatoes and Arugula Smitten Kitchen
Note: Recipes and content from © 2014-2018 All Our Way are copyright protected. Please do not use content or recipe without prior written permission. If you want to share the information, please link to this post. Grazie.