These spicy Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms with cream cheese are bold, savory, piquant, cheesy bites that are bursting with flavor. The oven-baked cremini mushroom appetizers are a family favorite we enjoy every holiday. Try them and see if they won't be your family favorite too.
This versatile recipe is easy to make ahead and perfect for any family gathering or party.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- It's easy to prepare ahead which makes it easy for entertaining.
- It's versatile. Use whatever type of meat and cheese you like.
- It's a low-carb option for those watching their bread intake.
This is one of my family's favorite finger foods. The stuffed mushroom recipe tastes rich, earthy, and full of flavor.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Note: The full list of this Sausage Stuffed Cremini Mushroom recipe ingredients with their amounts and options are listed in the recipe card below.
- Portabello mushrooms or Baba Bella(cremini mushrooms) -- have a bold flavor.
- Garlic -- fresh adds that Italian flavor without overwhelming the earthy crimini mushrooms.
- Jalapeños -- adds spice to the filling.
- Hot Italian sausage -- we like the spice.
- Onion -- adds to the yummy flavor.
- Cream Cheese -- adds taste and helps to bind the filling.
- Cheddar Cheese -- melts for a rich cheesy flavor.
- Parmesan Cheese -- adds saltiness and taste.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Clean the debris from the mushrooms with a damp paper towel. Twist the stem from the mushroom cap and set them aside. With a small spoon scoop out the gills from the mushroom shell.
- Finely dice the mushroom stems and place the stems, minced onion, the seeded diced jalapeños, sausage, and minced garlic in a medium-size skillet.
- Cook the meat mixture over medium high heat. The sausage is cooked when it's no longer pink. Remove the skillet from the heat and let the sausage mixture cool.
- Mix the cheddar and parmesan cheese together, reserving ¼ cup for the topping.
- With a wooden spoon combine the cream cheese with the cooled sausage in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the cheese combination minus the ¼ cup to the sausage and cream cheese mixture.
- Fill each mushroom cap with the Italian sausage stuffing.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar and Parmesan cheese combination on top of the stuffing.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. The links below are affiliate links.
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- Sharp knife -- cutting the mushrooms stems, jalapeños, onion, and garlic.
- Non-skid cutting board
- Cheese grater
- Mixing bowls
- Wooden spoon
- Small spoon
- Parchment paper or Silpat
These are the questions we are most frequently asked about making this Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushroom Recipe.
Yes you can make the appetizer ahead of time. You can prep these stuffed mushrooms and keep them in the refrigerator up to 2 days ahead of time. You will need a few more minutes of baking time because they are chilled.
Absolutely! It's best to freeze them before cooking them on a parchment-covered baking sheet. Once they're frozen, place them in a single layer in a freezer bag. Separate the next layer with a piece of parchment paper. Do this to prevent the delicate mushrooms from sticking together. They will last for about 3 months in the freezer before losing quality.
You cook them in a preheated oven from a frozen state. Don't let them thaw out or they'll get soggy.
First, don't soak them in water when cleaning them. Second, bake the mushrooms at a high heat -- 400℉.
Chef tip: Don't fret if you have leftover sausage mushroom stuffing. The cooked cheesy meat mixture is tasty with crackers or veggies.
If you need to make the Italian mushrooms ahead of time, they'll keep in the refrigerator for up to five days. Be sure to keep them in an airtight container.
To reheat cooked Italian sausage stuffed mushrooms, preheat the oven to 325℉. Place the mushrooms on a parchment paper or Silpat lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake the stuffed mushrooms for 5 minutes. Don't overbake, they may dry out if you do.
📚 Variations beyond Italian sausage stuffed mushroom
Stuffed mushrooms make a delicious party food or snack. Let your imagination go crazy with the many variations you can come up with.
- Parmesan Stuffed Mushrooms -- sauté stems and green onions and combine with breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, Italian herbs, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Boursin Stuffed Mushrooms -- French Boursin cheese binds together a creamy filling of breadcrumbs, onions, peppers, and artichokes.
- Blue Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms -- use blue cheese, cream cheese, and chopped scallion to fill portobello or button mushrooms. For additional crunch include chopped toasted pecans, walnuts, or sliced almonds to the cheese mixture.
- Grilled Stuffed Mushroom Sliders -- a mixture of softened cream cheese, shredded parmesan, blue cheese crumbles, chopped pimentos, chopped chives, minced garlic, onion powder, salt, and black pepper piled in the mushroom cap and served in a small bun.
- Cheese and Herb Stuffed Portobello -- a filling of mushroom stems, breadcrumbs, thyme, oregano, rosemary, garlic, salt, and pepper and chopped pimentos.
- Bread Crumb and Parmesan Stuffed Mushrooms -- chopped green bell pepper, onion, and garlic add color and flavor to the basic Parmesan and breadcrumb stuffed mushrooms.
- Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms -- cooked pork sausage with your choice of cheese.
- Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms -- add vegetarian sausage substitute along with onion, garlic, peppers, and herbs.
- Stuffed Mushrooms with Clams -- add clams, breadcrumbs, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Fontina, Spinach, and Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms -- fontina has a sweet flavor. Delicious and gluten free.
- Stuffed Mushrooms with Spinach and Ham -- minced cooked mushroom stems, onions, ham, garlic, spinach and breadcrumbs and topped with mozzarella.
- Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms -- pan-fried bacon and sautéed onions, green peppers, and chopped mushroom stems mixed with cream cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Paleo stuffed Mushrooms with Ground Turkey -- mixture of ground turkey, garlic, herbs, and some finely chopped water chestnuts fills the caps.
- Crab-Stuffed Mushrooms With Parmesan Cheese -- filled with a buttery crabmeat-breadcrumb cream cheese stuffing.
- Store uncooked Italian stuffed mushrooms for up to 3 days in the refrigerator
- Store baked stuffed mushrooms for 5 days in the refrigerator.
- Keep the uncooked stuffed mushrooms wrapped in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Freeze cooked stuffed mushrooms and keep in airtight container for up to 3 months.
📗 Related Recipes
We love serving finger foods at our parties and gatherings. Our favorites are the ones we can prepare ahead of time.
This lovely baked goat cheese log served with crackers is a huge hit. The marinara sauce goes along very well with the savory Italian cheesy filling in the mushrooms caps.
We like to serve lots of veggies at our gatherings, this Buffalo Cauliflower recipe is perfect to serve a crowd.
Here is a finger food that our gang can't get enough of, it's Buffalo Ranch Nuggets. This recipe is easy to make and keep on hand.
🍽 Serve with
📞 Chiacchierata (chat)
Appetizers are a fun way to start a party or gathering. Friends and family can just wander around and visit enjoying the delicious snacks and drinks. This atmosphere ends up being more relaxed and jovial.
What's new? Check out my All Our Way Store on Amazon. We'll be adding more items we love and use or wish we had to make cooking fun and easy.
📝 Recipe Card
If you ask Hubby what kind of parties and gatherings he likes to host it would be ones we can serve dozens of different kinds of appetizers. He loves coming up with new ideas for stuffed mushrooms. We have to admit that these Italian Sausage Stuffed mushrooms with cream cheese top our list. I know it'll do the same for your list.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.
Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms With Cream Cheese
- 24 Cremini mushrooms may use 48 small
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 2 Jalapeños seeded and diced
- 8 ounces Hot Italian sausage may use mild or breakfast sausage
- 2 Tablespoons Onion minced
- 4 ounces Cream cheese soft, room temperature
- 2 ounces Cheddar Cheese divided
- 11/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- Small Spoon
- Preheat oven to 400℉
- Clean the cremini mushrooms with a damp paper towel to remove all debris. Pop off stems. Using a small spoon, scrape out the middle of the mushroom to make room for the filling.
- Finely dice the stems and place the stems, onion, diced jalapeños, sausage and garlic in a small pan. cook until no pink remains.
- Drain off any fat that has accumulated.
- Mix cheddar and parmesan cheese together and set aside ¼ cup for the topping.
- Combine the softened cream cheese, cheese mixture, and cooled sausage in a small bowl.
- Fill each mushroom cap with the mixture of Italian sausage and cream cheese filling.
- Place each filled mushroom cap on a parchment paper lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Top with reserved cheese and bake 18-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and mushrooms are cooked.
- Serve the tasty appetizer at your next party and see how quickly the