This impressive Cheese and Caramelized Onion Bread Recipe is one we came up with years ago. A golden baked pizza dough braid cocoons a delicious center of sweet onion and salty melted asiago cheese. It's the type of recipe that you want to serve as a delicious appetizer or alongside a soup or salad.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe . . .
- it's quick and easy to make with pre-made pizza dough.
- can be made ahead and warmed up.
- takes only a few ingredients.
- make it to suit your taste.
We've made the caramelized onion bread many times, and it's never failed to impress our family, friends, and fussy foodies. And we always get recipe requests.
Note: The full list of this onion bread appetizer recipe ingredients with their amounts and options are listed in the recipe card below.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Refrigerated Pizza crust -- may use your own homemade pizza recipe.
- Butter -- richness and fat in cooking the onion.
- Brown sugar -- helps in the caramelization.
- Onion -- flavor and sweetness.
- Thyme leaves -- fresh or dried for taste and deep herb taste.
- Asiago cheese -- may substitute with Pecorino
- Egg white -- adds sheen to the braid and helps the poppy seeds stick.
- Poppy seed -- flavor and appearance.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Sauté the onion in the butter.
- Cook until onion is golden brown. Stir in the brown sugar and thyme.
- Unroll pizza dough on parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle cheese down center.
- Spoon onion mixture over cheese.
- With scissors make cuts 1-inch apart on both long sides of dough.
- Start at the bottom crossing the dough.
- Alternately cross strips diagonally over filling.
- Turn the ends under and press to seal.
- Brush the egg white over the top of the dough.
- Sprinkle the poppy seeds over the top of the bread.
- Bake for 11 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Cut crosswise into slices.
The following are affiliate links. we are a participant i the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You’ll need the following items to make this recipe successfully
These are the questions we are most frequently asked about making the Cheese and Onion Bread.
Yes you can. We like to use the pre-made ones you find in your dairy section. They are very easy to work with, especially when rolling out into a rectangle.
You can use any onions for caramelizing, red, yellow, white, sweet varieties will work.
You may also use Pecorino Cheese.
A heavy thick-bottom pan. You want the onions to slowly cook and not burn.
The refrigerated pizza crust is really easy to use. I know, I know, we usually make our own pizza crust, but believe me, the prepared pizza crust works out great.
You need to unroll the pizza dough and then place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet. With a rolling pin, press the dough into a 15 x 10-inch rectangle.
For cutting you'll need scissors or a sharp knife. We like to use scissors, as we did in our Pane Italiano because it seems like we have more control over the cuts.
- You can also use other herbs such as oregano, marjoram, a combination such as Italian seasoning.
- Use other cheese such as Mozzarella or Fontina.
- Add a bit of caraway seeds to the caramelized onion and use Swiss cheese.
- For the spice lovers use pepper jack cheese and add a bit of red pepper flakes to the onion.
Once the cheese onion bread cools wrap it up in plastic wrap, then again with aluminum foil. It will keep at room temperature for two days or freeze right away.
Put the frozen bread on a baking tray and put it in the oven. Turn on the oven to 300℉. Once the oven reaches that temperature turn it off. Check the bread. It should be warm and be just like you baked it.
📗 Related Recipes
Herb cheese bread is a stuffed bread that can be used as a dinner bread or sliced as an appetizer. This is a wonderful addition to any holiday dinner.
Cheese Stuffed Panini are almost a meal in themselves. You may add a bit of prosciutto to them or mortadella for a delicious Italian sandwich.
Garlicky Soft Breadsticks are our answer to Olive Garden's breadsticks. These buttery breadsticks also make a delicious appetizer.
🍽 Serve with
This type of appetizer would be ideal next to a charcuterie tray like we did at this Thanksgiving.
Place it along side this scrumptious Baked goat Cheese and Marinara Dip. I can guarantee there won't be anything left.
And you don't have to wait to just eat it as an appetizer. Serve it alongside a delicious soup such as this Italian soup. You don't need a sandwich when you have Cheese and Caramelized Onion Bread.
The hardest part of this scrumptious cheese onion bread is waiting for it to cool so you can slice it. Now, be prepared for the compliments, because we assure you they'll come. Just don't let on how very easy this recipe is.
It's also the type of recipe that you'll want to keep for yourself because it's that good. You don't want to give away all of our secrets, do you?
This super easy Cheese Caramelized Onion Bread Recipe will be our secret. 😉
Tutti a tavola è pronto!
Un caro saluto e alla prossima.
What's new? Check out my All Our Way Store on Amazon. We'll be adding more items we love and use or wish we had to make cooking fun and easy.
📝 Recipe Card
You can make several of these delicious appetizer onion cheese braids early in the day and bake them for your family and guests. Believe me, they'll be singing your praises, its called Impressive for a very good reason.
And if you can't get enough of caramelized onions, next time try our Saucy Tortellini with Caramelized Onion and Spinach. It's a one-skillet meatless dinner you family will love.
If you're looking for an unusual vegetable side that always gets rave reviews, you must try our Caramelized Fennel and Onion recipe. The rich flavor of the fennel and onions really come through. A little touch of lemon is the perfect Mediterranean touch for this combo.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.
Impressive Cheese and Caramelized Onion Braid
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion cut in half, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 can 13.8 oz refrigerated pizza crust
- 1 cup Pecorino or Asiago cheese 4 oz
- 1 egg white beaten
- ½ teaspoon poppy seed
- Heat oven to 425 F. Spray parchment-lined cookie or baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is golden brown. Stir in brown sugar and thyme. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Unroll pizza dough; place on parchment lined sheet. Starting at center out, with a rolling pin roll dough into 15 x10-inch rectangle.Sprinkle cheese down center third of dough. Spoon onion mixture evenly over cheese.
- With scissors or sharp knife, make cuts 1 inch apart on both long sides of dough to within ½ inch of filling. Alternately cross strips diagonally over filling; turn ends under and press to seal. Brush egg white over top. Sprinkle with poppy seed.
- Bake 11 to 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Remove from sheet; cut crosswise into slices.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Promise
First published August 26, 2016. Last updated November 15, 2021. Updated with more information and new photos and instructions for a better reader experience.
Note: Recipes and content from © All Our Way are copyright protected. Please do not use content or recipe without prior written permission. If you want to share the information, please link to this post. Grazie.