Parmesan Herb Pizza Bread is a quick no knead recipe that fills the home with the rich fragrance of Italian herbs, cheese, and salami. There is nothing like the aroma of homemade herb loaves baking in the hot oven.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
The herbs and cheese bring a bold flavor and scent to the bread recipe reminding you of your favorite pizza restaurant. It's an easy yeast bread that takes little preparation and effort. Most of the prep time is spent in letting the Italian bread rise and bake.
This no-knead recipe is so easy and tastes so good, your family will want you to bake it often. Promise!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Note: The full list of this Italian Herb Cheese Bread recipe ingredients with their amounts and options are listed in the Herb Parmesan Bread recipe card below.
- All-purpose flour
- Active dry yeast
- Sea salt
- Parmesan Cheese
- Italian Seasoning or our Homemade Tuscan seasoning
For this recipe you will need all-purpose flour, instant yeast, sea salt, butter, warm water, Parmesan Cheese, Italian seasoning, sugar.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the ingredients on low speed until blended. Then at medium speed, beat the dough until smooth - 2 minutes. With a rubber spatula scrape down the bowl and beaters.
- Put the dough in greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let dough rise in a warm place until more than double in bulk.
- When the dough doubles in bulk, stir down the batter with a wooden spoon.
- Place dough in your vegetable oil sprayed baking container (either a 2 quart casserole or 2 loaf pans). Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 55 minutes at 375℉ until the top is nicely browned.
- Place pans on wire rack to cool. Serve slightly warm.
- If cooked in loafs pans, slice. If cooked in round casseroled dish, serve in wedges.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant i the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You’ll need the following items to make this homemade Pizza Bread recipe.
- Stand mixer
- Rising bowls
- Liquid Measuring cup
- Dry Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Loaf pans
- Baking and cooling rack
This is a very easy yeast bread recipe to make at home and the reasons I picked it as the first one to to give as a gift was . . .
- No need for fancy equipment.
- A batter bread which meant no knead.
- A quick yeast bread that didn't take a lot of preparation.
- Herbs and cheese would give the bread lots of flavor.
Everything goes into a mixing bowl. How easy is that?
These are the questions we are most frequently asked about making (recipe name)
Herbs and Spices can be used as the main ingredient in bread or to enhance other ingredients. Use sage, dill, oregano, rosemary and thyme to add flavor to savory breads.
Basil, caraway, sage, chives, dill, fennel, rosemary, thyme, oregano, just to name a few.
Adding fresh herbs to bread adds even more to the flavor and turns a basic loaf, flatbread or muffin into something of a signature dish. You don't need to use a special recipe to add your fresh herbs.
Gas is created as a result of yeast growth, so the more the yeast grows, the more gas in the dough and the more light and airy your bread loaf will be.
This herb parmesan bread recipe comes together very easily it's as easy as 1,2,3.
- Gather the ingredients.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour warm water in a mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water.
- Add the dry ingredients to the yeast water.
- Mix the dry and liquid ingredients together until smooth.
- Put the smooth dough in a greased bowl and leave until doubled in size.
- TIP: I use a shower cap to cover my dough container. We get them when we travel. They're cheap and reusable.
Make your batter bread to reflect your likes.
Regional Herb Blends that are fantastic in breads
- Tuscan Herbs - Rosemary, Basil, Thyme, Oregano - Pair with garlic and parmesan.
- Provincial Herbs - Tarragon, Savory, Fennel, Basil, Thyme, Rosemary - Pair with gruyere or for a big flavor punch blue cheese.
- Mediterranean Herbs - Oregano, Marjoram, Dill, Mint - - Pair with lemon, peppers, feta.
- Fines Herbs - Chervil, Parsley, Chives, Tarragon -- Pair with gruyere and black pepper.
Other bread flavor boosters
- Condiments/Spices - Sun-dried tomatoes, dried onion flakes, lemon zest, olives, pepper flakes, roasted garlic.
- Seeds and grains - Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts or your favorite, oats, flax, wheat germs, chia seeds, poppy seeds.
- Meat - bacon, salami, pepperoni, prosciutto.
Before you pack muffins or quick bread aways, cool them completely. After coming out of the oven, let these baked goods briefly cool in the pan before transferring them to a wire rack to cool all the way.
Store them in a sealed container for a day or two at room temperature. If you're going to keep the bread longer than that, wrap the loaves and freeze them.
We like to freeze bread as soon as it's cool. That way we guarantee freshness and flavor.
📗 Related Recipes
More Easy Breads You May Enjoy
- Flatbread | Mediterranean All Purpose Bread
- 4 Hour Baguettes
- Pita Bread | Perfect Pocket Bread
These breads are easy to make and freeze beautifully.
🍽 Serve with
Pizza Bread tastes fantastic with any Italian meal. We like to serve it along with Chicken Parmigiana, Italian beef roast, Spaghetti Pie or just slathered with butter.
📞 Chiacchierata (chat)
Do you remember the lean years? The years where every penny counted and you had to be very creative in everything you did? Those were the years where there was nothing left in the budget for gifts or presents.
It was because of necessity that we had to get creative with a birthday gift for my father-in-law. The solution came to us out of the blue and it seemed obvious. I loved to bake; Hank, my father-in-law, loved to eat bread.
Bread was the answer!
Discovering pizza bread
But, one loaf of bread seemed a little miserly. So, we bought him a very nice birthday card and in the card I wrote and promised I would bake him a loaf of bread every week for a year. You'd have thought we'd given him the world.
The bread I made for his birthday was the The Italian Herbs and Cheese bread that we nicknamed "Pizza Bread."
This bread was so popular with my Father-in-Law that every year he insisted on the same birthday gift, a bread a week, with Herb Parmesan Pizza Bread being a monthly regular.
We hope you'll try out this recipe -- you don't need a huge mixer. When I first made this bread I just had a hand mixer. For the final addition of flour, I just mixed it with a wooden spoon.
We guarantee your family will love the Pizza Bread and it was Honey who suggested adding the salami to the dough. He was right!! It tastes fantastic.
Try this bread next
We are crazy about our bread and if it's easy to make, we can't wait to try it. One bread we tried and fell in love with, not only the ease but also the delicious taste. That bread is the Crusty French Baguette in 4-hour recipe.
And another bread you have to try is the traditional Italian Easter Meat Pie that is so good, you'll want to celebrate Easter every month.
And if you're wanting an honest-to-goodness genuine homemade pizza crust recipe, this one is it!!
And if you're wanting a snack that rivals what you get from the mall kiosks, try our Homemade German soft pretzels. They have the perfect combination of a soft interior and a crunchy salty exterior.
Tutti a tavola è pronto!
Un caro saluto e alla prossima.
YOU MAY NEED ...
The following are affiliate links. As An Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
We like using instant yeast because we don't have to let it proof like active dry yeast. We've found that we can always rely on the Saf-Instant brand.
What's new? Check out my All Our Way Store on Amazon. We'll be adding more items we love and use or wish we had to make cooking fun and easy.
📝 Recipe Card
This is an easy bread to work with. The dough has the consistency of a loose batter bread, so it's easy to mix by hand. Most of the prep time is spent letting the herb bread rise and bake.
Originally, this recipe did not include meat. But, Hubby got the brilliant idea to try salami.
I really didn't think you could improve on the original recipe, but I was wrong.
We love trying regional breads, and if you're the same way, you must try our Focaccia Pugliese Recipe and our Focaccia Italiana. They are both delicious and work well as appetizers or go-along with your soups.
And if you're looking for a cheesy, meaty bread to serve for an evening meal or a leisurely brunch, you have to make our Cheesy Bacon Bread With Chives. A delicious quick bread you'll want to make often.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.
Parmesan Herb Pizza Bread No Knead Recipe
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 pkg. active dry yeast or 3 ½ tsp. instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 ½ tablespoons dried oregano leaves or Italian Seasoning I used Tuscan Sunset which is an Italian seasoning sold by Penzey's Spices
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 ½ cups sifted all-purpose flour separated into 3 cups and 1 ½ cups
- 2.5 oz salami optional
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water in large mixing bowl. Let stand a few minutes: stir to dissolve. If you are using instant yeast skip this step and just put the warm water in the mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, salt, butter, ½ cup cheese, your choice of seasoning, 3 cups flour ( and instant yeast if you didn't use active dry). Beat, at low speed, until blended. At medium speed, beat until smooth -- 2 minutes. Gradually add in the rest of the flour. Scrape down bowl and beaters.
- Put dough into greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Let rise in warm place (85F), free from drafts, about 45 minutes, or until quite light and bubbly and more than double in bulk.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly spray a 2-quart casserole with nonstick oil; set aside.
- With wooden spoon, stir down batter. Beat vigorously ½ minute, or about 25 strokes. Turn into casserole. Sprinkle top of batter evenly with 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 55 minutes, or until nicely browned. Turn out onto wire rack. Let cool, or serve slightly warm, in wedges.
- I package active dry yeast is equal to 2 ¼ teaspoons.
- You may need to tent the bread with aluminum foil if the top is browning too quickly.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Promise
First published April 2014. Last updated January 28, 2022. Updated with more information and new photos and instructions for a better reader experience.
How to make Herb Parmesan Bread at home (original photos)
The beauty of herbs is that you can adapt almost any bread recipe into a super delicious custom bread just by adding some of your favorite herbs. Choose just one herb or a blend of complementary herbs to enhance the flavor.
If you want a really spectacular loaf of bread, add cheese to it the dough.