I never tire of one-pan meals like this One Pan Chicken with Gnocchi! They are super easy and convenient and this recipe, in particular, boasts all the winning attributes of a well-balanced meal - protein, veggies, and carbs.
The creamy sauce softens and flavors the pillowy potato gnocchi - a perfect base to rest the tender seasoned chicken breast upon. It looks like a gourmet meal without the effort which is why you should definitely add this as one of your dinner options!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- It’s a great alternative to a traditional pasta dish while still offering that comfort-food status that we love so much about pasta!
- The ingredients are simple and you get to make this meal in one pan - those are my favorite types of meals!
- Everyone loves this one pan chicken with gnocchi - even the picky eaters.
No technical cooking, no unfamiliar ingredients, or piled dirty pots and pans - this ultra-creamy one-pan chicken with gnocchi simply offers a wholesome meal to anyone craving a bowl of warm comfort food!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Note: The full list of this Creamy Italian Chicken with Gnocchi Dinner recipe ingredients with their amounts and options are listed in the recipe card below.
- Chicken breasts - boneless, skinless
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Olive Oil Extra virgin
- Diced shallot
- Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Dried oregano
- Low sodium chicken broth
- Half and Half
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Packaged Gnocchi
- Mozzarella, shredded
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Baby Spinach
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil and add the seasoned chicken, cooking it on both sides until golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside. Reduce the heat of the skillet to medium and add the mushrooms with the remaining oil.
- Add in the shallot together with garlic, thyme and oregano and cook until golden in color and fragrant.
- Add the broth and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan, then slowly add in half and half. Bring to a simmer and season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Stir in gnocchi.
- Return the chicken to the pan. Let simmer until chicken is cooked through and the internal temperature of the chicken breasts reach 165℉, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove chicken from the skillet and slice it.
- Add the cheeses and stir until melted.
- Add spinach to the skillet.
- Sir in the spinach until it has wilted in the skillet.
- Place the sliced chicken breasts back into the skillet. Taste. Season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve the chicken over the gnocchi and sauce and enjoy!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You’ll need the following items to make this Italian Chicken and Gnocchi recipe successfully.
- Medium-large skillet
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Liquid measuring cup
These are the questions we are most frequently asked about making (recipe name)
Gnocchi can be enjoyed with various pasta-based sauces but it's also delicious when paired with vegetables, leafy greens, and crumbled or shredded cheese!
While many think that gnocchi is a type of pasta, it's actually a type of dumpling that is made from potatoes.
Yes! Gnocchi soup can be stored in an airtight container or Ziploc bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Traditional gnocchi is made with all-purpose flour which is not gluten-free. Since the explosion of gluten-free products on the market in recent times, there are definitely numerous brands of gluten-free gnocchi that can be bought.
- It’s always a good idea to check the doneness of chicken using a meat thermometer. Your chicken is safe to eat when it registers an internal temperature of 165F.
- If you are concerned that a particular piece of chicken is too large to adequately cook evenly with the other pieces, simply cut it into strips, keeping a close watch so that you don’t overcook the strips.
- You don’t need to boil the packaged gnocchi before adding it to the pan of sauce as it will cook while simmering for 8-10 minutes (the general cooking time for pasta) as called for in the recipe instructions.
- For non-meat eaters, consider doubling the sauce and gnocchi servings and serve the gnocchi with sauteed shrimp.
- You could use a different cut of chicken for this dish as well, such as chicken thighs (boneless, skinless) or a combination of breasts and thighs.
- The sauce I’ve made is a combination of chicken broth, half and half, grated cheese, and spices. You could use a store-bought sauce instead or even change the kind of sauce called for in this recipe to something like marinara sauce.
Leftover chicken with gnocchi can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. I don’t recommend storing it for longer than this as the gnocchi will continue to absorb the sauce and can risk becoming mushy.
📗 Related Recipes
Nothing quite beats the ease and convenience of a one-pan meal. They almost always make use of minimal ingredients and simple cooking processes. If you want to add more one-pan meals into your meal planning, consider my One-Pan Italian Garlic Lemon Chicken, Chicken Marsala, or Classic Chicken Cacciatore With Mushrooms.
While I’ve used packaged gnocchi for this recipe, you can definitely make your own. Here’s a great post on How To Make Ricotta Gnocchi With Butter Sage Sauce.
🍽 Serve with
This one-pan chicken with gnocchi is an entire meal in itself with protein, vegetables, and carbs. If you do feel like adding some side dishes to this meal, consider homemade dinner rolls, something fresh like this Italian summer salad, or roasted vegetables such as roasted asparagus.
📞 Chiacchierata (chat)
If you’ve never cooked with gnocchi before, now’s your chance and since my recipe calls for the use of packaged gnocchi, it’s easier than ever!
This dish is a great alternative to pasta when you feel like a little change but is still ultra comforting, especially when combined with creamy mushroom and onion sauce with tender slices of chicken breast!
What's new? Check out my All Our Way Store on Amazon. We'll be adding more items we love and use or wish we had to make cooking fun and easy.
📝 Recipe Card
The chicken with gnocchi elevates this delicious Italian dinner to a fine dining experience. The potato gnocchi instead of the usual pasta is a delicious switch the entire family will love.
Next time try our Chicken Breast Florentine with Tomatoes. It's a one pan dinner that is easy to make and low in calories.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.
Easy One Pan Creamy Italian Chicken With Gnocchi Dinner
- 1 ½ lbs. Chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil Extra virgin
- 1 Shallot diced
- 8 oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms sliced
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 teaspoon Fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon Oregano dried
- 1 cup Chicken broth low-sodium
- 1 ¼ cup Half and Half
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes a pinch
- 17 oz. Package Gnocchi
- ¾ cup Mozzarella shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 3 cups Baby Spinach
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Add chicken and cook until golden, 4 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Add shallot and mushrooms and cook until golden, 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme and oregano and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add broth broth and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of pan, then slowly add in half and half. Bring to a simmer and season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Stir in gnocchi and return chicken to pan. Let simmer until chicken is cooked through and the internal temperature of the chicken breasts reach 165℉, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove chicken from skillet.
- Add cheeses and stir until melted, then add spinach and stir until the spinach is wilted.
- Slice the chicken breast and return it to the skillet. Taste. Season with more salt and pepper if needed.