This Buffalo Chicken Soup recipe is for all of those hot wing lovers out there with a buffalo chicken obsession. The thick creamy stew has plenty of heat for the spicy die-hards yet not so much that the tenderest mouths can’t enjoy the dish.
Next time try Southwest flavored chicken soup.
❤️ Why you’ll love the recipe
- Easy and fun way to enjoy hot wing flavors.
- Quick to put together using leftover shredded chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken.
- Great recipe for game day the whole family will love.
- A hearty soup ideal for a cold winter day.
If you enjoy the favorite flavor combinations of traditional buffalo wings and buffalo chicken dip, you’ll love this comforting soup during soup season.
Note: The full list of ingredients with their amounts and options are in the recipe card below.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Celery — Rounds out the soup broth depth of flavor and includes vitamins and fiber.
- Onion — A savory that is essential in a good soup recipe.
- Carrot — Another essential in a soup plus it has the antioxidant beta carotene.
- Cabbage — Packed with many nutrients and its high in fiber.
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil — for sautéing the vegetables.
- Chicken broth or stock — The flavored liquid in the soup.
- Cumin — Adds an earthy, nutty and spicy taste and a warm aroma with hints of lemon.
- Smoked Paprika — Gives the soup color and a deep smoky flavor.
- Kosher Salt — Enhances the flavor and taste.
- Black pepper — Gives a spicy bite to the soup and enhances the flavor.
- Can great Northern beans — Adds protein, fiber and taste.
- Can chili beans — Extends the protein, fiber and taste.
- Ranch or Bleu cheese Dressing — Gives the soup a creamy flavor and taste.
- Buffalo sauce – I used frank’s buffalo sauce which adds flavor and spice.
- Cooked chicken — The main protein in the soup. Use diced leftover chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken
- Heavy cream – May use half and half, evaporated milk or cream cheese which will add to the creaminess.
- Garnishes — Bleu cheese crumbles, green onions, tortilla strips or chips
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Chop the vegetables and add them to a large Dutch oven that’s had olive oil added to it. Sauté the vegetables for 5 minutes until they soften.
- Add the chicken stock.
- Stir in the seasonings.
- Bring the soup to a boil then simmer covered until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the beans, dressing, and the amount of buffalo wing sauce you desire.
- Add the chicken and gently heat the soup through.
- Stir in the cream and adjust the seasoning.
- Garnish with bleu cheese crumbles, green onions, tortilla strips or crumbled nacho chips.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You’ll need the following items to make this recipe successfully.
👩🏻🍳 Chef tips
Expert tip: You can adapt the heat in your hot wings soup:
- ⅛ cup “mild”
- ¼ cup “medium”
- ½ cup “hot”
- ¾ cup “inferno”
Classic buffalo chicken flavors permeate this hearty stew like soup. It’s very adaptable and you can customize this soup to your liking.
- Add potatoes or other vegetables
- You can use beef or vegetable stock/broth instead of the chicken.
- Instead of the heavy cream, add cream cheese at the end and cook and stir until melted.
- You can use ranch dressing instead of the bleu cheese dressing.
- Use less bleu cheese dressing, or you ca add cheddar cheese, a small handful at a time, making sure it’s thoroughly melted before adding more.
- Garnish with cilantro sprigs or tortilla strips.
To store: Refrigerate for 3 or 4 days in an airtight container. Or freeze in individual ½ – 1 cup portions by placing the soup in freezer containers.
A fun way to enjoy buffalo hot wing flavors in soup form. A creamy, tangy, savory, and hearty bisque type soup.
Yes. It’s easy to put in freezer containers with tight fitting lids. Freeze for several months.
You can make the soup stove top, slow cooker, or insta-pot. The main ingredients are the chicken, buffalo hot wing sauce, celery, onions, chicken broth, and some cheese or cream.
If you want a thicker stew like soup, simmer it longer uncovered or add more cheese. If you want it a bit thinner, add more chicken broth.
📓Slow cooker variation
It’s easy to make this soup into a Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Soup
- In the bottom of the slow cooker, sauté in the olive oil the chopped vegetables. If your crock pot doesn’t have that capability, sauté in a skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes until they soften.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the cream, evaporated milk, or cheese. Cover and tun on. Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or low for 4-5 hours.
- 15 before finishing the soup, add the cream or cheese. Stir. Make sure if you added cheese that it has melted.
- Garnish with bleu cheese, green onions, tortilla strips, if desired.
🍽 Serve with …
Serve celery sticks and tortilla chips on the side. For the Frank Red Hot Sauce fan serve with their own bottle of sauce.
Buffalo Chicken Soup is creamy and a bit spicy but not so much that tender mouthes can’t enjoy the soup. You can determine the heat of this hearty soup.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Hearty And Creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium carrot sliced
- 1 cup cabbage shredded
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 5 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoons salt plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper plus more to taste
- 15.8 ounce can Great Northern beans drained and rinsed
- 16 ounce can chili beans in sauce undrained
- ½ cup ranch or bleu cheese dressing
- ¼ cup Buffalo sauce I used Franks Buffalo Sauce
- 2 cups cooked chicken diced or shredded
- ½ cup heavy cream may substitute with half and half or evaporated milk
- Optional garnishes: Blue cheese crumbles, chopped green onions, tortilla strips
- Chop and add the vegetables.
- Add the olive oil to the Dutch oven and heat to medium high heat.
- Add the vegetables and sauté for 5 minutes until the veggies soften.
- Add the chicken stock.
- Add the cumin, paprika, salt and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are tender, add the Great Northern beans, chili beans, ranch dressing, and ¼ cup Buffalo Sauce.
- Add the chicken. If cooked, gently heat the soup through.
- Add half and half, cream, or evaporated milk as needed to tone down the heat.
- Take the pan off the burner and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Add blue cheese crumbles and scallions before serving, optional.