Ambrosia salad is a sweet and creamy dessert salad made from a whipped topping base, citrus fruit, coconut, chopped nuts, and mini fruit-flavored marshmallows. This dessert salad is a no-bake recipe that you can whip up in just 10 minutes with simple ingredients!
The addition of tangy Greek yogurt helps to cut the sweetness in this dessert salad while you can get creative with easy ingredients swaps and add-ins to suit your preferences. Enjoy this refreshing and colorful ambrosia salad during holidays, at potlucks, or summer picnics.
❤️ Why I love this recipe
- This ambrosia recipe is not overly sweet thanks to the tangy Greek yogurt and no sugar added. Instead it’s creamy, fruit, and refreshing!
- It’s a no-bake dessert with easy recipe instructions - simply add the ingredients and mix.
- Kids and adults love this ambrosia fruit salad recipe!
This Ambrosia Salad is a creamy and fruity fail-proof dessert that you can serve within 10 minutes from scratch!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Note: The full list of this recipe ingredients are in the recipe card below.
- Frozen whipped topping -- I like to use Cool Whip.
- Greek vanilla yogurt
- Shredded sweetened coconut
- Mandarin oranges
- Pineapple tidbits -- may also use crushed pineapple
- maraschino cherries
- chopped pecans -- optional
- mini marshmallows -- we like using the fruit-flavored ones for the color and taste.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Add the whipped topping to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the Greek yogurt and combine.
- Add the coconut and fruit-flavored marshmallows.
- Add the maraschino cherries and the mandarin oranges.
- Add the pineapple and pecans.
- Start to gently fold the ingredients into each other with a rubber spatula.
- Continue to fold the ingredients until they are well combined but don’t overmix them.
- Garnish the ambrosia salad with any remaining ingredients, such as mandarin oranges and cherries, and serve.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You’ll need the following items to make this recipe successfully.
These are the questions we are most frequently asked about making this fruity creamy dessert.
The exact origin of the name for this dessert salad is unclear although there are a few theories, including Greek mythology where “ambrosia” was the heavenly sweet food of the gods that maintained their immortality.
The term “ambrosia” also comes from the Latin word ämbrosius”, which means “of the gods”, suggesting that this salad is so delicious that it’s fit for the gods.
You will find that Ambrosia salad is a popular dessert in the United States, particularly the Southern region. Many people enjoy it at potlucks, over holidays, or other social gatherings.
Like any dairy-based recipe, this ambrosia salad can turn bad if not stored properly in the refrigerator.
This dessert salad contains about 309 calories per serving.
- It’s best to chill this ambrosia salad before serving. This will allow all of the flavors to meld together.
- You can use any brand of whipped topping for this ambrosia salad recipe. Cool Whip is always a popular choice.
- Prevent any possible browning of any fresh fruit used in this marshmallow fruit salad by adding some of the canned pineapple juice into the ambrosia salad mixture.
- You should use crushed pineapple instead of chunks so that the pineapple is evenly distributed throughout the salad.
- Make it a day ahead. The flavors will have time to meld together, and it will be even more delicious.
- Easily convert this ambrosia salad into a watergate salad by including pistachio nuts and pistachio pudding.
- I’ve used canned fruit for this marshmallow salad. You can use fresh citrus fruit but it could start to brown while in storage.
- I haven’t added any of the juice from the canned fruit into this ambrosia salad but you could for extra flavor. Try pineapple or mandarin juice, or use the juice from a lemon or lime.
- You could use mini white marshmallows instead of the fruity variety. You could even chop up regular marshmallows.
- Remove the nuts from this ambrosia recipe when catering to nut allergies.
- Use sour cream instead of Greek yogurt.
Store this ambrosia salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
I don’t recommend freezing this ambrosia salad with Cool Whip since the consistency and texture of the salad will change from the freezing and thawing.
📗 Related Recipes
- Harvest Apple Salad - A delicious Autumn-inspired fruit salad with sweet and savory flavors.
- Classic Watergate Salad - Another classic creamy dessert salad loaded with pistachio flavor.
- Mandarin Orange Fluff Salad - A delicious citrus dessert salad with a Ritz crust. Slice this fluff salad into squares and enjoy all year long!
🍽 Serve with
Ambrosia salad is a great standalone dessert, but it is especially tasty when you pair it with ice cream or sweet crackers to scoop into the salad.
📞 Chiacchierata (chat)
My Ambrosia Salad is a golden oldie recipe that has never failed to impress and satisfy my family and guests! The fruity sweet flavors of the salad are perfectly balanced by the tangy Greek yogurt, preventing an overly sweet dessert.
One of the best things about this marshmallow fruit salad is its versatility. You can easily add in other ingredients or swap out ingredients to best suit your family’s preferences.
Tutti a tavolo, è pronto!
What's new? Check out my All Our Way Store on Amazon. We'll be adding more items we love and use or wish we had to make cooking fun and easy.
📝 Recipe Card
This Ambrosia Salad with whipped topping is a creamy and tangy fruit salad consisting of fruit-flavored mini marshmallows, sweet maraschino cherries, mandarins, pineapple, coconut, and pecans. The Greek yogurt cuts through the sweetness of the salad ingredients for a perfectly balanced no-bake dessert!
And another no-bake dessert we're sure you'll enjoy is our Creamy Blueberry Bottom Pie with Whipped Cream. It makes a spectacular hot weather dessert.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.
The Best Ambrosia Salad With Fruity Marshmallows
- 8 ounces frozen whipped topping thawed (Cool Whip)
- ½ cup Greek vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 11 ounce can mandarin oranges drained
- 8 ounce can pineapple tidbits or crushed pineapple drained
- 1 cup maraschino cherries drained
- ½ cup chopped pecans lightly toasted (optional)
- 1 ½ cups mini fruit-flavored marshmallows
- In a large bowl, stir together the whipped topping and yogurt.
- Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold remaining ingredients into whipped topping.