Watergate Salad is a sweet, creamy, no-bake dessert salad perfect for any occasion. It consists of pistachio pudding mix, canned pineapple, mini marshmallows, coconut, and chopped pecans, creating a unique and delicious flavor that will surely be a hit with any crowd.
❤️ Why I love this recipe
- This watergate salad is a delicious and sweet treat that is perfect for potlucks, parties, or as a dessert.
- Its creamy texture and sweet flavor make it a hit for adults and children.
- I make this no-bake dessert in advance and store it in the refrigerator until it's time to eat.
Watergate Salad, also known as Pistachio Delight, is a sweet and creamy dessert salad that we love for its unique flavor and easy preparation!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Note: The full list of this recipe's ingredients is in the recipe card below.
- pistachio pudding
- mini marshmallows
- frozen whipped cream - thawed
- shredded sweetened coconut
- crushed pineapple
- chopped pecans (optional)
- maraschino cherries (optional)
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Add the undrained pineapple to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in the pudding mix until completely dissolved and the mixture has thickened.
- Stir in the chopped toasted pecans and coconut.
- Stir in the mini marshmallows.
- Fold in the whipped topping. Transfer the salad to a serving bowl or individual glasses, topped with chopped pecans and cherries (optional).
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You’ll need the following items to make this recipe successfully.
These are the questions we are most frequently asked about making the Pistachio Fluff recipe.
Watergate Salad is said to have been created by a sous chef at the Watergate Hotel and was regularly served at weekend brunches. It gained popularity during and after the Watergate Scandal, hence the name Watergate Salad.
Classic Ambrosia salad consists of pineapple, mandarin oranges, coconut, and miniature fruit-flavored marshmallows.
Ambrosia salad was once considered a luxurious and exotic treat due to the hard-to-find ingredients used. It was typically reserved for holidays and special occasions and was named "ambrosia" after the food of the Greek and Roman gods.
Watergate Salad is also known as Pistachio Delight and Ambrosia Salad.
- Use crushed pineapple instead of chunks. This will ensure that the pineapple is evenly distributed throughout the salad.
- Add the marshmallows just before serving. Marshmallows tend to absorb moisture and can become sticky if they are added too early.
- You can use a food processor to chop the nuts, this way, they will be evenly distributed and add a nice texture to the salad.
- Make it a day ahead. The flavors will have time to meld together, and it will be even more delicious.
- Use different nuts, such as walnuts or almonds, instead of pecans.
- Add fresh fruit such as mandarin oranges, apples, or strawberries.
- Use different types of pudding mix, such as lemon or vanilla, instead of pistachio.
- Add a layer of whipped cream on top of the assembled salad.
- Substitute the canned pineapple with fresh pineapple.
- Add a little bit of lime or lemon juice to give it a little bit of tanginess.
- Use yogurt instead of whipped topping.
Store Watergate Salad in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. You may also freeze it, but it's not recommended as the texture of marshmallows can change after thawing, and the whipped topping can also lose its consistency.
If you have leftovers, it's best to keep them in the refrigerator and consume them within a few days to ensure the best quality.
📗 Related Recipes
These delicious no-bake desserts satisfy your sweet tooth without turning on the oven:
- Panna Cotta With Strawberry Sauce - Light and silky, easy to make, and never disappoints in flavor or visual appeal!
- Cinnamon Ice Cream - A rich and creamy dessert made with heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, spicy cinnamon, vanilla, and flavored vodka.
- Budino Al Cioccolato - The perfect chocolate pudding that’s rich and creamy, enjoyed chilled or warm.
🍽 Serve with
Watergate Salad is great standalone dessert, but it is espcially tasty when you pair it with ice cream or sweet crackers to scoop into the salad.
📞 Chiacchierata (chat)
No-bake desserts are quick and easy to make, requiring very little preparation time. It doesn't leave the kitchen hot from baking so it's ideal for hot summer days when the family craves a chilled sweet treat!
Once I assemble this Watergate Salad, I transfer it to the fridge and get on with my other tasks. It's so nice having some “chill time” for mysel!
Tutti a tavolo, è pronto!
What's new? Check out my All Our Way Store on Amazon. We'll be adding more items we love and use or wish we had to make cooking fun and easy.
📝 Recipe Card
Watergate Salad, also known as Pistachio Pineapple Delight, is a retro dessert made with crushed pineapple, pistachio pudding mix, mini marshmallows, chopped pecans, coconut, and whipped topping. Top it with additional nuts, cherries, and whipped cream!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.
Pistachio Fluff - Watergate Salad
- 2 Pistachio pudding mix 3.4 ounces
- 20 ounce Crushed pineapple undrained
- 16 ounce Frozen whipped topping thawed
- ¾ cup Pecans chopped and toasted
- 2 cups Mini marshmallows
- 1 cup Shredded Coconut (optional) sweetened
- Chopped pecans garnish
- In a large bowl, combine the pudding mix and the undrained pineapple until the mix has completely dissolved and the pineapple mixture has thickened.
- Stir in the chopped toasted pecans, coconut, and mini marshmallows.
- Fold in the whipped topping.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or individual glasses and top with chopped pecans and cherries if desired.
Leave a Reply