London Broil is on sale. Surprise! Surprise! But did you know that London Broil is not a cut of meat rather it’s a method of cooking? A recipe such as London Broil with Dijon Mustard utilizes that method of cooking. You can grill the meat or broil it. Use our delicious London Broil marinade and you’ll have a delicious piece of meat. You can eat the beef as is or on a delicious salad.
For this recipe you will need: top round steak, Dijon mustard, olive oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, red wine, garlic cloves, fresh ginger, ground black pepper.
What is London Broil?
Now, what is actually on sale is Boneless Top Round Steak or Roast at almost $2.00 off its usual price. That’s a great bargain. Grocery stores many times will label a flank or top round steak London Broil.
To make round steak into London Broil, the meat marinates for several hours or overnight. You then broil or grill the beef at high heat. Then you thinly slice the meat on the diagonal and serve.
We make this tasty marinated round steak recipe quite often. London Broil is perfect for grilling.
If you can’t grill the London Broil, you can broil it, but you’ll miss out on the grill flavor and grill marks.
Dijon Mustard Marinade Flavors the Top Round Steak
The Dijon mustard marinade makes this lean and less tender cut of meat into a delicious protein with touches of mustard, pepper, ginger, and garlic.
You can get the flavor and tenderness without having to pay the high price of Filet Mignon or Rib Steak.Ingredients for London Broil Recipe
Meat, especially beef, is more expensive now than a few years ago. So whenever we find any meat on sale, such as the top round cut, we stock up.
How the Dijon mustard marinade helps flavor and tenderize
- This mustard marinade allows the top round roast to soak up flavors by absorbing some of the marinade’s juice and getting a little fat from the olive oil.
- There is an acid in the marinade, either fresh lemon or lime juice which helps tenderize the meat.
- Marinating the meat for 2 to 3 hours per inch of thickness or overnight guarantees the beef soaks up lots of seasoning.
London Broil Background
When our kids were home, we had a big freezer in our basement. Next to the freezer was a huge school size chalkboard that kept track of our frozen inventory.
This was my Honey’s doing; he knew at all times what was in the freezer.
His method gave our kids a big chuckle. They called it one of his “isms,” because whenever he took anything out of the freezer, he marked it off the chalkboard.
Now I have to confess; I’m not that organized. If my Hubby were reading this now, he’d probably be laughing his head off and saying that I’m not organized at all.
Turn Top Round Steak into London Broil Recipe
I just have my way of doing things. Besides artistic minds can’t always think of the mundane, especially when they’re filled with creative ideas, just waiting to be conceived. 😉
Don’t you agree?
Now that we have a smaller house and smaller freezer, we don’t stock up quite as much as we did. But, when there’s a sale on food, we do take advantage of the sales.
Just ask my Honey what’s in the freezer. He’ll give you a complete rundown, and know exactly where it is plus have it organized with the oldest package on top.Cut London Broil on the Diagonal
A London Broil recipe cooks hot and fast
Even though it’s just the two of us, we still purchase the more economical cuts of meat. When prepared correctly, a tough cut of meat such as a top round roast will have lots of flavor and be tender.
This beef cut will need marinating. But also it must be cooked hot and fast on the grill, with no more than medium doneness.
My Grill Master, that’s Honey, will time the meat, just like he does for the Pork Chops so that the London Broil gets those beautiful grill marks.London Broil Grilled and Sliced Cross Grain
Overcooking the top round steak will make it tough no matter how long it’s marinated, so it’s a good thing that our family likes their meat on the medium rare side.
The internal temperature must not pass 130 F, and then it has to rest about 10 minutes for thicker cuts.
Why do I need to let the meat rest?
The resting allows the London Broil to relax and the juices to redistribute throughout the meat.
When it’s time to eat, Honey carves the London Broil cross grain, and then we dine on an outstanding meal with a less expensive cut of meat.
Tutti a tavola è pronto!
Un caro saluto e alla prossima.
YOU MAY NEED…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of All Our Way!
This is similar to the classic knife we use all the time. It’s important to have a great knife because the sharper the knife the less likely you are to cut yourself. I know, you’d think it would be the opposite but it isn’t. Take care of your knives and they’ll last a lifetime!
Grilled London Broil Recipe With Dijon Mustard Marinade
London Broil is a method of cooking either a flank or top round steak. The delicious marinade infuses the meat with lots of taste and the acid in the marinade helps to tenderize the beef so that it will be juicy and tender.
Grilled London Broil Recipe with Dijon Mustard Marinade
- 2 pounds lean top round steak about 1-1/2 inch thick, trimmed of fat
- 3 Tablespoons country-style Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 Tablespoon peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place steak in a large glass baking dish.
- In a small bowl combine mustard, oil, lemon or lime juice, soy sauce. Worcestershire sauce, garlic, ginger, and pepper; using wire whisk beat well to blend. Pour mixture over steak; turn meat several times to coat well with marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for 2 to 3 hours per inch turning the steak occasionally. Place the covered dish in the fridge for the first hour, then let it stay at room temperature the remainder of the time.
- Grill over high heat about 4 minutes per side giving the meat a 90 degree turn at 2 minutes so you get the grill marks. Flip the meat over and do the same thing at the 2 minute mark. The internal temperature should not pass 130 F. Loosely tent the meat with aluminum foil and allow the meat to rest for about 10 minutes so that it can relax and the juices redistribute throughout the meat. If the steak is a thinner cut, allow it to rest for 5 minutes.
- Carve the London Broil cross grain (diagonally) and serve.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Promise
Note: Recipes and content from All Our Way ©2014 are copyright protected. Please do not use content or recipe without prior written permission. If you want to share the information, please link to this post. Thank you.