Need a flavor-packed soup that’s mouth-watering and nutritious at the same time? I have you covered with this irresistible Hamburger soup!
This hearty soup is made with browned ground beef (also referred to as hamburger meat), tender potatoes, rich broth, tomatoes, aromatics, herbs, seasoning, and healthy vegetables. Serve a bowl of this comforting soup alongside crusty bread or grilled cheese sandwiches.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- This beef soup recipe is a great soup to make ahead of time since it freezes and reheats well.
- This easy hamburger soup is quick to make, ready to be served in just 30 minutes!
- It’s hearty, healthy, and incredibly delicious, loaded with nutritious vegetables, flavorful ground beef, rich broth, and fork-tender potatoes.
This hearty hamburger soup with vegetables is pure comfort in a bowl. You’ll be begging for seconds in no time!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Note: The full list of this recipe ingredients with their amounts and options are in the recipe card below.
- Lean ground beef -- you may use ground chicken, turkey, or even ground venison.
- Onion -- use any kind you like, not a sweet onion.
- Garlic -- fresh
- Potatoes -- we used Yukon gold.
- Beef broth -- you may use vegetable or chicken.
- Tomato paste
- Worcestershire sauce
- Italian seasoning
- Bay leaf
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Cut mixed vegetables -- use fresh or frozen. We used frozen for ease and time.
- Flat-leaf parsley
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Brown the ground beef with garlic and onion. Drain excess fat and return to the large pot.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, and black pepper. Simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Add the diced potatoes.
- Give the mixture a good stir with a wooden spoon.
- Add the mixed vegetables, Italian seasoning, and salt, and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Sprinkle the cooked hamburger soup with chopped Italian parsley, and serve!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You’ll need the following items to make this recipe successfully.
- Dutch oven or soup pot
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Wooden mixing spoon
These are the questions we are most frequently asked about making our Quick and Easy Vegetable Hamburger Soup with Potatoes recipe.
Ingredients such as rich broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, herbs, and seasoning will add more flavor to a vegetable soup. Adding meat, such as browned ground beef, also adds a rich flavor to vegetable soup.
Chicken broth, vegetable broth, bone broth, red wine, water, or a combination of any of these substitutes can be used instead of beef broth.
Serve crusty bread, cornbread, grilled cheese sandwiches, dinner rolls, tortilla chips, crispy croutons, or a side salad with this hamburger soup.
Combining seasoning, herbs, beef broth, tomato paste, aromatics, and browned ground beef adds a delicious depth of flavor to vegetable soup.
- Make sure to drain excess fat from the browned ground beef to avoid excess grease in this soup.
- For a thicker consistency, add a cornstarch slurry to the soupy mixture towards the end of the cooking time.
- Cut the potatoes into uniform-sized pieces so they cook evenly.
- This recipe serves 8, but you can halve it or store half in the freezer for future busy weeknight meals.
- Change your mixed vegetables to include those that you enjoy the most. My mixed vegetables usually include beans, celery, carrots, and peppers, but you could also include mushrooms, corn, and other veggies. Fresh veggies are great but frozen veggies can also be used.
- Add heat to this hamburger soup by including chili powder, cayenne pepper, or hot sauce. Other ingredients for a kick of heat include sliced jalapenos and Ro-Tel tomatoes.
- Lean ground beef, ground chicken, or ground pork can be used instead of regular tender ground beef.
- Add red wine to the soup for a richer flavor.
- Chicken or vegetable broth are great substitutes for beef broth.
- Macaroni, rice, barley, and orzo (or other small shell pasta) can be added to the soup towards the end of the cooking time for extra body or to replace the potatoes.
- Russet potatoes can be used in this soup.
Hamburger vegetable soup can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 4-5 days. This soup could also be stored in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for 1-3 months.
Thaw leftover soup overnight in the fridge and reheat in a large Dutch oven over medium-low heat on the stovetop until heated through.
📗 Related Recipes
- Cabbage Roll Soup - This cabbage soup has the same comforting flavors and textures as classic baked cabbage rolls but in soup form!
- Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup - Lasagna soup takes a traditional Italian dish and transforms it into a bowl of soupy delight!
- Spicy Vegetable Italian Lentil Soup - Another vegetable-rich soup recipe that I highly recommend if you want to increase your nutritional intake in an easy and delicious way.
🍽 Serve with
Top each bowl of hamburger soup with freshly grated cheese (cheddar cheese, Mozzarella, or Parmesan cheese) or crumbled feta and chopped fresh parsley or basil. Enjoy this comforting hamburger soup with Garlic Cheesy Bread or Homemade Dinner Rolls.
📞 Chiacchierata (chat)
We've been making the Hamburger Vegetable Soup recipe for years. The first time I saw this recipe was a tear out quick recipes inset in the old McCall's Magazine. I still have it in my recipe binder. It's been used so many times throughout the years. And the veggies I use are the ones I have handy.
I've added cabbage instead of the potatoes and even fennel and fall squash. And as expensive as beef is, hamburger is still affordable. And for the game hunters, use ground venison in this delicious Vegetable Hamburger Soup recipe. We have.
Let me know what additions you include in this versatile soup recipe.
Tutti a tavolo, è pronto!
What's new? Check out my All Our Way Store on Amazon. We'll be adding more items we love and use or wish we had to make cooking fun and easy.
📝 Recipe Card
Hamburger soup with fresh vegetables is a hearty and comforting soup, packed with browned ground beef, onions, garlic, rich broth, canned tomatoes, fork-tender potatoes, and mixed veggies. It’s a quick and easy stovetop soup that you can have on the dinner table in just 30 minutes!
Next time you're craving a stew-like dinner, try our Italian Ratatouille recipe called Ciambotta. It's so good you'll want to make it often with your favorite veggies.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.
Easy Hearty Vegetable Hamburger Soup
- 1 ½ pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion medium-size diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 large yukon gold potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 3 cups mixed vegetables fresh or frozen- such as green beans, carrots, celery, peppers
- 3 Tbsp. flat-leaf parsley chopped for garnish
- Brown onion, ground beef and garlic until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Add potatoes, broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, seasoning and bay leaves. Simmer covered 10 minutes.
- Stir in vegetables. Simmer 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.