Chicken Lentil Soup is an easy one-pot meal that can be made in less than one hour from scratch. The lentil-rich soup is healthy and packed with comforting chicken soup flavor, while the red lentils add volume and thickness.
Enjoy this comforting soup as a midweek family meal alongside soft dinner rolls or garlic bread.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Chicken lentil soup is a complete meal that’s nutritious and comforting - packed with fiber-rich lentils, veggies, aromatics, and chicken.
- This soup is an easy Dutch oven recipe that stores well in the fridge and freezer - perfect for family meal prep.
- This one-pot chicken lentil soup can be made from scratch in less than one hour with budget-friendly ingredients.
Get ahead of any winter colds and flu by fueling your body with this healthy and delicious chicken lentil soup!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Note: The full list of this recipe ingredients with their amounts and options are listed in the recipe card below.dry red lentils - this type cooks faster.
- low-sodium chicken broth
- diced cooked chicken - we like the convenience of using rotisserie chicken from the store.
- Dijon mustard - adds color, tastes, and helps emulsify the soup.
- tomato paste - adds flavor, color, and also helps to emulsify the soup. We do like using the Mutti tomato paste for quality and taste.
- red lentils -- these are faster cooking than the other varieties.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Sauté carrots in a large pot over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add celery and garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add lentils and stir.
- Add the broth, water, bay leaves, and Italian seasoning.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, Dijon, tomato paste, and salt.
- Simmer soup to heat through and season with pepper.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You’ll need the following items to make this recipe successfully.
- Dutch oven or Soup Pot
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Measuring spoons
- Dry Measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cup
These are the questions we are most frequently asked about making Lentil With Chicken Soup Recipe.
Absolutely! Lentils are rich in fiber, minerals, and plant protein. They’re also low in fat and help to aid digestive health.
Lentils are a popular ingredient in hearty soups, stews, and salads. They tend to absorb the flavors of other foods, broth, and seasoning, which makes them an easy add-in.
Yes, you can. Overcooked lentils will become mushy and soft. It’s important to know that different varieties require different cooking times, so it’s best to follow the recipe cooking time suggestions.
This depends on what you want from your lentils. Red lentils cook the fastest and dissolve as they cook, which creates a smooth soup, while green and brown lentils hold their shape and add more texture to the soup.
- If you plan to store this chicken lentil soup in the freezer, first allow the soup to cool completely and then transfer the soup into Ziploc bags of individual portions for easy defrosting and reheating of the exact portions you require.
- This chicken lentil soup is already gluten-free. To thicken the soup, add a cornstarch slurry to keep the dish gluten-free.
- Only add the cooked chicken towards the end of the cooking otherwise, it will become quite tough and chewy.
- Don’t add raw chicken to this soup, as it won’t cook long enough for this dish to be safe to eat.
- You don’t need to soak your lentils before cooking them in this soup. Red lentils naturally cook faster and soften very easily.
- You can use leftover turkey instead of chicken to make turkey lentil soup. I’ve chopped my cooked chicken, but you could use shredded chicken instead or use rotisserie chicken for convenience.
- For a little kick of heat to your chicken lentil soup, add cayenne pepper or red chili flakes to the soup.
- Vegetable broth can be used instead of chicken broth. The broth I’ve used is low-sodium, but you can use regular broth and then omit the salt in the recipe ingredients.
- If you don’t want to use red lentils, green or brown can be used instead, but they will require a different cooking time and add more texture to the soup than red lentils.
Once completely cool, store leftover chicken lentil soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Leftover or thawed soup can be reheated in single portions in the microwave or larger portions on the stovetop.
📗 Related Recipes
Looking for more soup recipes to keep you warm and full during the winter months? Here are some of my favorite lentil and chicken soups to try:
- Spicy Vegetable Italian Lentil Soup - A lentil-rich soup that’s quick to make and loaded with nutritional veggies and Italian flavors.
- Copycat Chili's Southwest Chicken Soup - Nothing warms you up better than chili soup. This copycat soup is so good you’ll think it’s the real deal!
- Southwest Chicken Tortellini Soup With Spinach - The combination of tender chicken and fresh tortellini pasta in this Southwest dish is mouth-watering.
🍽 Serve with
Enjoy this Lentil Soup With Chicken Recipe as a complete meal or served with cornbread, grilled cheese sandwiches, buttered dinner rolls, or homemade buttermilk biscuits.
📞 Chiacchierata (chat)
While my pasta and meat are my Italian cooking staples for many of my homemade soups and those passed down to me within the family, the use of lentils has become another favorite addition to soups, stews, and salads since they are fantastic for adding volume to any dish while not overpowering the flavors or the other ingredients!
If you’ve never enjoyed lentils in your soup, now is the time! They are delicious and extremely healthy too!
Tutti a tavolo, è pronto!
What's new? Check out my All Our Way Store on Amazon. We'll be adding more items we love and use or wish we had to make cooking fun and easy.
📝 Recipe Card
Chicken Lentil Soup consists of a simple chicken soup base combined with red lentils, Italian seasoning, and chopped cooked chicken for a complete meal! Enjoy your hearty lentil soup with soft breadsticks, garlic bread or flatbread.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.
Mediterranean Chicken Lentil Soup
- ½ cup carrot sliced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup celery chopped
- 2 TAblespoons fresh garlic minced
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 4 cups chicken broth low-sodium
- 2 cups water
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken (10 oz)
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- Sauté the carrot in oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until starting to brown, stirring often, 5-7 minutes
- Add onion and sauté until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in celery and garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- Add lentils, stirring to coat. Stir in broth, water, bay leaves, and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer soup until lentil are tender, 15 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, Dijon, tomato paste, and salt. Simmer soup to heat through, then season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Browning carrots is a delicious way to add another dimension of flavor to the soup.
- Use rotisserie or leftover cooked chicken to make quick work of getting the soup on the table.
- Dijon and tomato paste emulsify the broth while enriching the flavor and color of the soup.