Teriyaki Chicken Wings, Barbecued chicken wings, or fried chicken wings with hot sauce are as crucial on Super Bowl Sunday as the two opposing teams and their footballs. We want to tell you a secret. We hope you won't upset with us, but we don't care about the game. It's almost sacrilegious, we know.
We just think there are some things more important on Super Bowl Sunday to cheer.
The importance of planning ahead
It's the food! There you can see us cheering enthusiastically, especially for our Spicy Teriyaki Chicken Wings. Salty, sweet, and spicy, so good you don't want to waste one single drop of that sauce. Lick your fingers, teriyaki chicken wings demand etiquette stay outside the door. We won't tell anyone. 😉
You can make the sauce for the teriyaki chicken wings several days in advance. As you cook, slather the sauce on the wings. Don't forget to paint the wings with more sauce when they are done.
How about some Grissini (breadsticks)?
Make as much as you can beforehand
Grill or bake the teriyaki chicken wings early in the day, then warm them in the oven just before serving. This method works well if you decide to make Spicy Barbecued Chicken Wings along with the teriyaki wings.
And what would a Super Bowl party be without bowls of munchies sitting in every corner table? Our recipe Spicy Party Mix makes enough for countless bowls and then some. If you've read the story about the party mix you know how much our family loves it. Our oldest grandson loves it so much he once asked for it for his birthday. 🙂
Make Soft Pretzels with Spicy Cheese Sauce and freeze the pretzels. On Super Sunday, thaw the soft pretzels out and stick them in the oven for a short time before serving. The cheese sauce is great a room temperature.
Purchase the ingredients and assemble it yourself
Our oldest son made a fantastic Mediterranean Herb Antipasto Salad Platter. He couldn't figure out why we were making such a fuss over it when he bought all of the ingredients, arranged them, and then poured a salad dressing over it. We tried telling him it's the presentation!
Sometimes the easier it is, the better it tastes! Make a meat, cheese, and olives board. You can assemble it early in the day. This type appetizer you don't need to heat or refrigerate during the game.
Spicy Teriyaki Chicken Wings a Super Bowl LI winner
This recipe is a real winner. We can guarantee that all you'll have left on the plates and platter are a pile of clean bones. The only danger of hosting a great super bowl party is that your guests will want a repeat next year. 🙂
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter so we can keep in touch. We love sharing our adventures in and out of the kitchen.
Tutti a tavola è pronto!
Un caro saluto e alla prossima.
Spicy Teriyaki Chicken Wings Finger Licking Good Grilled or Baked
- 5 lbs. chicken wings tips and membranes between joints removed
- 6 cups water
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- ½ cup chili-garlic sauce
- 1 cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ cup sweet soy sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds put in dry skillet and watch like a hawk so they don't burn
- 1 Tablespoon minced green onion
- Trim the chicken wings.
- In a large glass bowl, combine water, salt, ¼ cup of the chili garlic sauce and ¼ cup of the honey. Stir until the salt is dissolved. Add the wings and chill for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- To make the basting and dipping sauce, in a small bowl, combine the remaining chili garlic sauce, soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, Sriracha, remaining honey, vinegar, and ginger and mix well. Set aside half of the sauce for serving in order to avoid contamination.
- Heat the grill to medium high. Drain the thighs or wings and season them with sea salt and pepper. Grill the thighs or wings until golden, 15 to 25 minutes, turning as needed. DON'T turn too much. When the thighs or wings reach a golden color, around 155 F, baste them with the sauce, turning as needed until the wings are glossy, well coated and reach 165 F. ** Baking instructions in Notes.
- Remove to a serving platter and garnish the wings with the sesame seeds and green onions. Serve with the reserved dipping sauce. If you want to lick your fingers you have our permission-- it is acceptable and highly recommeneded.
Preheat oven to 400 F. set a wire rack inside each of 2 large rimmed baking sheets lined with foil. Drain the wings and season them with sea salt and pepper. Divide the wings between the prepared racks and spread out in a single layer.
Bake the wings until cooked though and skin is crispy, 45 -50 minutes.
Baste on both sides with the sauce. Bake for another 8-10 minutes.
Follow the rest of the direction as in the grilled wings. Adapted from Guy Fieri's Firecracker Chicken Wings
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Promise
Note: Recipes and content from © 2017 All Our Way are copyright protected. Please do not use content or recipe without prior permission. If you want to share the information, please link to this post. Grazie.