White chicken enchiladas are a popular Mexican dish that consists of tender shredded chicken, cheese, and spices wrapped in soft tortillas and smothered in a creamy white sauce.
This dish is famous for its rich and comforting flavors and its versatility. We serve as a main course or as a casual party dish. The creamy white sauce, made with ingredients such as sour cream and green chilies, adds a tangy and slightly spicy note to the dish, making it a crowd-pleaser for adults and children.
❤️ Why I love this recipe
- This Mexican-inspired dish is quick and easy to make while incredibly flavorful and comforting.
- I can cook the chicken in advance. Leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken will also add convenience.
- Easily adapt your white chicken enchiladas to suit preferences and food allergies or to keep things interesting!
White Chicken Enchiladas is an easy-to-assemble, one-dish meal that will satisfy those Tex-Mex cravings in 35 minutes!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Note: All of the chicken enchilada recipe ingredients and their amounts with options are in the recipe card below.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat and whisk the flour to make a roux.
- Slowly add the chicken broth and whisk.
- Add the diced green chilis, sour cream, and cheese. Whisk until the sauce thickens, and then remove it from the heat.
- Combine the chicken, cream cheese, sour cream, chilies, cumin, and cheese, in a mixing bowl.
- While the oven preheats, assemble the enchiladas by laying a tortilla on a flat surface. Divide the filling evenly and add it to the tortilla, rolling it up.
- Add the rolled-up tortilla to a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Fill and roll the rest of the tortillas.
- Pour the white sauce over the tortillas.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top of the sauce.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
- Garnish the baked white chicken enchiladas with freshly chopped cilantro, and serve!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You’ll need the following items to make this recipe successfully.
- saucepan -- for the enchilada sauce
- dry measuring cups
- liquid measuring cup
- Baking dish -- 9X12-inch
Questions asked about making the Creamy White Chicken Enchilada Recipe.
This white sauce consists of melted butter and flour as a thickening agent, together with chicken broth, sour cream, green chilis, and shredded cheese.
I’ve used shredded Monterey Jack cheese, but you could use Queso Blanco, Manchego, Queso Fresco, or Cotija which all melt easily.
Real Good chicken enchiladas are ready-to-heat and eat. Simply poke holes in the film covering and heat the tray in the microwave on high for 3-4 minutes. Allow the heated tray to sit for about 1 minute before serving.
Enjoy these white chicken enchiladas alongside a bean salad, rice, salsa and chips, or guacamole.
- When reheating these enchiladas, heat them to an internal temperature of 165°F to kill any potential bacteria. You can do this in the oven, microwave, or on the stovetop.
- The cooked chicken can be made specifically for this dish, or you can use leftover shredded chicken or rotisserie chicken.
- If you're worried your tortillas may break while assembling the enchiladas, pre-cook them in a little bit of fat to develop the flavor and make them easier to fill and roll up.
- Add more heat to the filling and sauce by including chili powder or cayenne pepper.
- Use shredded turkey in place of chicken.
- Consider spreading a jalapeno bean dip over the tortillas before filling them with the chicken mixture.
- Use corn tortillas or flour tortillas. You can also use gluten-free tortillas if you have food allergies.
- Swap the Monterey cheese for another mild white cheese. Queso Blanco, Manchego, Queso Fresco, or Cotija are also great options.
Store these white chicken enchiladas in the baking tray, wrapped with plastic wrap, or in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
📗 Related Recipes
Can’t get enough of enchiladas? Now you can enjoy all types of enchiladas with these varied recipes:
- Spicy Beef Enchiladas - Made with cornmeal crepes loaded with ground beef and jalapeno bean dip and topped with a spicy cheese sauce!
- Breakfast Enchiladas - Now, you get to enjoy enchiladas for breakfast! The breakfast sausage in this recipe makes it the perfect comfort food for the first meal of the day.
- Best Shrimp Enchiladas - Fill your tortillas with tender and flavorful shrimp, topped with a homemade creamy sauce.
🍽 Serve with
Enjoy these White Chicken Enchiladas with a side of Italian Summer Salad since this dish is already filling and hearty.
📞 Chiacchierata (chat)
I love all types of enchiladas and I can't get enough of them. That's why I keep adding to the different types of enchiladas on my blog!
These White Chicken Enchiladas will only take 35 minutes to make from scratch and ticks all the boxes for a comforting dish with Mexican-inspired flavors and creamy cheese sauce! You could assemble the entire dish the night before and simply pop it in the oven for an easy midweek family dinner!
Tutti a tavolo, è pronto!
What's new? Check out my All Our Way Store on Amazon. We'll be adding more items we love and use or wish we had to make cooking fun and easy.
📝 Recipe Card
These White Chicken Enchiladas boast Mexican-inspired flavors and ingredients such as tender shredded chicken, cream cheese, and spices wrapped in soft tortillas and smothered in a creamy white sauce. The green chilis in the filling and the white sauce provide an irresistible kick of spicy heat that’ll have you coming back for more!
Next time you're craving a chicken breast dish with a Southwest vibe, try our Chili's Copycat Monterey Chicken recipe.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.
Creamy White Chicken enchiladas Casserole
White Enchilada Sauce:
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 ounces can diced green chilies
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts shredded
- 6 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4 ounces can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1½ cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 10 tortillas 8-inch
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
- chopped cilantro for garnish
To Make White Enchilada Sauce:
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat, add the butter and melt. Whisk in the flour and create a roux. Slowly add in chicken broth and whisk. Add in the diced green chilis, sour cream, and Monterey Jack cheese. Whisk until it starts to thicken and remove from heat.
To Make the Filling:
- In a medium-sized bowl combine the chicken, cream cheese, sour cream, green chilies, cumin, and Monterey cheese.
To Assemble Enchiladas:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch dish with cooking spray. Lay a tortilla on a flat surface. Divide the filling evenly and roll the tortilla up and put it in the baking dish. Continue until you have used all of the tortillas.
- Pour the sauce on top of the tortillas and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is bubbly. Garnish with cilantro if desired.