Cheese and Caramelized Onion Braid is a recipe we came up with years ago. Since then, we’ve made the caramelized onion bread many times, and it’s never failed to impress our family, friends, and fussy foodies. It’s the type of recipe that you’ll want to serve as a delicious appetizer or alongside a soup or salad.
It’s also the type of recipe that you’ll want to keep for yourself because it’s that good. Let me show you how easy it is to make.
Start with the onion
You don’t need a lot of ingredients for the cheese caramelized onion braid. The most work you have is to thinly slice the onions. In a large skillet, you melt some butter, then add the onions. You cook them, stirring occasionally until they’re golden brown. Stir in a little bit of brown sugar and some thyme.
That’s it for the caramelized onion. Isn’t that easy?
Next a prepared pizza crust
The next important ingredient you need is a refrigerated pizza crust. I know, I know, we usually make our own pizza crust, but believe me, prepared pizza crust works out great. You need to unroll the pizza dough and then place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet. With a rolling pin, press the dough into a 15 x 10-inch rectangle.
You sprinkle the cheese down the center third of the dough. Next, you spoon the caramelized onion mixture over the cheese.
Shape the caramelized onion braid
For the next step, you’ll need scissors or a sharp knife. We like to use scissors, as we did in our Pane Italiano because it seems like we have more control over the cuts. You make cuts 1 inch apart on both long sides of the dough to within 1/2 inch of filling.
You now alternately cross the strips diagonally over the filling, turning the ends under and pressing to seal. Brush the top with egg white and then sprinkle with poppy seed. That’s it!
Bake the cheese onion braid
Now, you pop the baking tray into a 425 F. heated oven for about 11 to 15 minutes. The cheese and caramelized onion braid will turn a beautiful golden brown. Oh, the aroma is divine!
The hardest part of this scrumptious bread is waiting for it to cool so you can slice it. Now, be prepared for the compliments, because we assure you they’ll come. Just don’t let on how very easy this recipe is.
This will be our secret. 😉
If you’d like to keep up with our kitchen and grilling adventures be sure to sign up for our newsletter.
Tutti a tavola è pronto!
Un caro saluto e alla prossima.
Impressive Cheese and Caramelized Onion Braid
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion cut in half, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 can 13.8 oz refrigerated pizza crust
- 1 cup Pecorino or Asiago cheese 4 oz
- 1 egg white beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seed
- Heat oven to 425 F. Spray parchment-lined cookie or baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is golden brown. Stir in brown sugar and thyme. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Unroll pizza dough; place on parchment lined sheet. Starting at center out, with a rolling pin roll dough into 15 x10-inch rectangle.Sprinkle cheese down center third of dough. Spoon onion mixture evenly over cheese.
- With scissors or sharp knife, make cuts 1 inch apart on both long sides of dough to within 1/2 inch of filling. Alternately cross strips diagonally over filling; turn ends under and press to seal. Brush egg white over top. Sprinkle with poppy seed.
- Bake 11 to 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Remove from sheet; cut crosswise into slices.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Promise
Note: Recipes and content from © All Our Way are copyright protected. Please do not use content or recipe without prior written permission. If you want to share the information, please link to this post. Grazie.