The idea for making Grilled Zucchini Summer Squash and Strozzapreti came to me when I peeked into vegetable drawer of the fridge and there they were . . .
. . .two squash waiting to be used.
From their slightly sad appearance they had been speaking to me for some time — I just hadn’t been listening. 🙁
The main dish was going to be Grilled Shrimp with Lemon and Garlic and the shrimp was already in the fridge coated with the salt, baking soda and sugar spa treatment. Now I had to come up with a side that would compliment the lemony, garlicky taste of the shrimp.
So, I thought, why not use the grill to make the grilled zucchini summer squash and have nice grill marks on the vegetables? Then I could make some pasta, make a lemony type of seasoning and we’d have a complete meal.
As I looked through our inventory of pasta, I saw the tri-color Strozzapreti that we bought at Angelo’s. Angelo’s is a wonderful Italian deli/restaurant located in Venice, Florida. They have so many types of pasta that are imported from Italy. I can never decide which ones to buy.
This pasta I figured would be perfect with the grilled zucchini summer squash since the red pasta is made with tomatoes and the green is made with spinach — extra veggies are always good.
Once the zucchini and the summer squash were grilled it was so easy to toss all the ingredients together with the lemon vinaigrette. I made the lemon vinaigrette before I started the pasta.
The shrimp took only a few minutes to grill and our dinner was ready to enjoy. Quick and easy recipes in the summer time are always a plus and when they turn out especially delicious it is a bonus!
Grilled Zucchini, Summer Squash with Strozzapreti
For the Lemon Vinaigrette, whisk
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 Tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest.
- 17.6 oz. Strozzapreti or 16 oz. pasta of your choice
- 1 medium zucchini -- sliced in half lengthwise and brushed with olive oil
- 1 medium yellow summer squash -- sliced in half lengthwise and brushed with olive oil
Add to finished dish
- 2/3 cup pitted and sliced kalamata olives
- For the vinaigrette, whisk together the lemon juice, shallots, garlic, zest, thyme, oregano, and zest; salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste.
- Preheat the outdoor grill to medium heat (350). Brush the halved squash with olive oil and place on grill. After a two or three minutes, give them on quarter turn so that they have nice grill marks. Turn over and do the other side. Once they are grilled cut them into half moon slices.
- Cook the pasta according to directions making sure it is al dente. Don't overcook -- it will absorb the vinaigrette.
- In a large serving bowl toss the Strozzapreti, zucchini, yellow summer squash, kalamata olives with the lemon vinaigrette. Taste to make sure if there is enough salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh basil. This dish can be served hot or cold.
Note: Recipes and content from ©All Our Way is copyright protected. Please do not use content or recipe without prior written permission. If you want to share the information please link to this post. Grazie.