We got a one day break from our rainy weather and we were able to fire up the grill so we could finally make the Grilled Shrimp with Garlic and Lemon recipe. I was so excited when I first read about this method of preparation. It absolutely guaranteed this grilled shellfish would be plump, tender and perfectly juicy. Isn't that what we all want?
Another dish we enjoy that is loaded with taste is this Lemon Shrimp Pasta you can make in less than 30 minutes.
Why this method
Sometimes shrimp can be dry and rubbery if grilled too long .
I don't know about you, I want nicely colored shrimp not anemic looking morsels but I also don't want chewy, flavorless bites.
The cleaned shrimp is first treated with salt and baking soda. This helps them stay plump and juicy and also brown more efficiently as they grill.
Squeezing the shrimp together on a skewer gives them less surface area, which helps them stay juicier as they cook.
Drying the shrimp uncovered for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator gives them a jump-start on browning.
Then they are tossed in a flavorful lemon garlic vinaigrette after cooking which gives the shrimp more flavor than a marinade.
From now on this method for Grilled Shrimp with Garlic and Lemon will be our only way to prepare grilled shrimp.
The flavor is delicious and the texture of the shrimp is everything that was promised.
What to serve with...
We wanted to carry on the fresh lemon garlic flavor so we made Grilled Zucchini and Strozzapreti with Lemon Vinaigrette.
If you are unfamiliar with Strozzapreti it is an Italian twisted pasta, but I suppose you guessed it's Italian by the name 🙂
This dinner is perfect any time of year. It comes together quickly and it would be ideal for dining al fresco.
If you like shrimp dishes...
- Lemon Shrimp Pasta -- fried capers added for a brininess and depth of flavor.
- Easy Shrimp Scampi - a classic Italian dish with garlicky shrimp sauce over angel hair pasta.
- One-Pan Orange Lemon Shrimp for a touch sweetness, spice and tang that's redolent of the Isle of Capri.
More dinner ideas
Tutti a tavola è pronto!
You may need...
As An Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
We buy a big bundle of bamboo skewers and use them for more than grilling. They're handy to have around the kitchen and we find many uses for them. In fact, when I made our Italian Cream Cake I used the skewers to hold the many layers together and prevent them from scooting.
What's new? check out my All Our Way Store on Amazon. We'll be adding more items we love and use or wish we had to make cooking fun and easy.
If you've ever wanted to make the type of tender, juicy, flavorful shrimp you get at the best restaurants, this method is it. It takes just a little more time but the results are drool worthy. Friends and family will all want to know your secret.
Another shrimp recipe I know you'll enjoy is our spicy BBQ Shrimp Recipe. You can serve this dish as an appetizer or part of the famous Southern Classic, Shrimp and Grits.
If you like this recipe please give it a 5-star rating.
Grilled Shrimp With Garlic and Lemon
For 4 Servings
- 2 ½ pounds large 15 -20 per pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 medium cloves garlic minced, divided
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon zest and 4 teaspoons juice from 1 lemon
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh Italian parsley leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Combine baking soda, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Place shrimp in bowl and toss to coat. Thread the shrimp onto skewers, alternating heads to tails and pushing the shrimp so that they are nestled snugly together; you should have about 6 shrimp on each skewer. Lay skewers on top of a baking dish so that the shrimp are suspended above the bottom of the dish. Transfer to refrigerator and allow to rest for 1 hour. Meanwhile, combine half of garlic and half of olive oil in a small bowl. Combine remaining garlic, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, and parsley leaves in a large bowl. Set aside.
- When shrimp are ready to grill, brush both sides with garlic/oil mixture. Light gas grill and allow to preheat covered for 10 minutes or for charcoal grill until the coals are gray -- cover and allow it to preheat for 5 minutes.Be sure the grilling grates are clean and oiled.
- Place shrimp directly over the heat and cook, turning occasionally, until shrimp are just cooked through and charred, 4 to 5 minutes total. Take off the heat.
- Carefully remove the skewers from the shrimp and transfer to the bowl with garlic/oil/lemon mixture. Toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
- If you're using bamboo skewers, be sure to soak them for at least 30 minutes and preferably longer.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Promise
Note: Recipes and content from © 2014-2020 All Our Way are copyright protected. Please do not use content or recipe without prior written permission. If you want to share the information, please link to this post. Grazie.