Parmesan Broiled Flounder is the tastiest way to enhance the mild taste of this fish. When you see the title you probably think, don't they eat anything but seafood? Well, when you can have fresh fish right from the sea, you take advantage of it. This recipe is so easy to prepare yet so delicious you think you're eating at a fine restaurant.
Next time try Baked Flounder Italian Style.
Seafood an easy protein to find
We do eat beef, pork, and poultry but when we're in Florida with the Gulf practically at our back door, we like to see how many different recipes we can create. Flounder is a great source of protein and easy to obtain.
This recipe is one using the nineteen-inch flounder my Honey caught and filleted.
Flounder at Caspersen Beach
What do flounders look like?
Flounder are strange looking. They have two eyes on their top side, but they aren't born that way. No. As the flounder ages, the eyes come to be on top so as they lay on the sea's floor, they can see with both eyes looking up. Their "belly" or underside is perfectly white.
You get four fillets from a flounder, two from the top and two smaller from the bottom.
Parmesan Broiled Flounder with lemon slices.
- Flounder fillets
- fresh lemon juice
- Parmesan cheese
- Unsalted butter
- Mayonnaise - good quality such as Hellmans.
- Green onions
- Sea salt
- Dash of hot sauce
How to prepare the flounder
The complete directions are in the recipe card below.
Flounder do have scales, and once you scale them, you can leave the skin on for grilling and cooking purposes.
- In a medium bowl we make the mayo mixture with fresh lemon juice and lemon zest. Set aside.
- We season fish and place in a shallow baking pan that is misted with cooking spray.
- Broil the fish until it's almost done.
- Top the fillets with the cheese mixture and pop the pan under the broiler until it's melted over the fish.
If you're looking for easy recipes, this one is quick and easy to prepare.
Eating one to two servings of flounder or other fish each week, according to MayoClinic.com, reduces your risk of dying from a heart attack. Prepared without too much fat, broiled flounder is heart-healthy and low-calorie, perfect for anyone's diet.
1. Set oven to broil.
2. Sprinkle both sides of fish with salt and pepper. Brush both sides with melted butter. Place on rack in broiler pan.
3. Broil with top of fish steak about 4 inches from heat 5 minutes. Brush again with butter. Carefully turn fish.
4. Broil 4 to 6 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with for
Since we leave the skin on one side of the fillet, we start with the seasoned flesh side down in the pan first and the flip it. This will have the skin side touching the bottom of the pan.
With the mild taste of our parmesan broiled flounder I made Pasta Verde.
Tutti a tavola è pronto!
Un caro saluto e alla prossima.
Parmesan Broiled Flounder Recipe
Parmesan Topped Broiled Flounder
- 2 lbs. flounder fillets or 2 lbs. other white fish fillets
- 2 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup butter. softened
- 3 Tbsp. good quality mayonnaise such as Hellmann's
- 3 green onions. chopped
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 1 dash hot sauce or more if desired
- Place fish fillets in a single layer on aluminum foil lined shallow baking pan that's been sprayed with a vegetable cooking spray. You may also use a mild drizzle of olive oil or melted butter. You don't need to season fish. Just brush the fillets with the fresh lemon juice.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients to make the cheese mixture. Set aside
- Broil fillets 4 to 6 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a folk. (The time will depend on the thickness of your fillets and the temperature of the broiler.)
- Remove fillets from oven and spread with the Parmesan mayo mixture.
- Broil and additional 45 seconds to one minute or until cheese is lightly browned and bubbly. Be careful so that it doesn't burn.
- Garnish the mild white fish with lemon slices and parsley, if desired.
- Overcooking can produce a fillet that is mushy -- be sure to watch. This is a delicate and mild fish.
- Place the baking pan on a baking sheet for easy transference to and from the oven.
- You may also add a teaspoon of fresh lemon zest to the cheese-mayo mixture for a more lemon taste.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Promise
First published November 4, 2017. Last updated October 23, 2021. Updated with more information for a better reader experience.