Usually you see "piccata" with chicken or pork, but this piccata recipe lends itself well with a mild flavored fish such as spotted sea trout, flounder, even tilapia whatever seafood you prefer.
Sea Trout is low-calorie
Fish is a low-calorie source of protein but it doesn't mean it has to be a low source of taste. Spotted sea trout is a white-fleshed fish that becomes extra special when you accentuate it with a lemon, capers and white wine sauce.
I was born in the Friuli - Venezia Giulia region in Italy. It is the northeastern most region of Italy's twenty regions.
It is a very small area somewhere in-between the size of Delaware and Connecticut. In this region's cuisine, it is common to find capers used with seafood.
Spotter Seatrout recipe a quick and easy dish
The brightness of the lemons, the brininess of the capers and the richness of the butter compliment the subtle tasting fish.
A light dusting of flour is all you need to coat the fish and to slightly thicken the pan juices
To compliment the Sea Trout Piccata, we served it with Lemon and Spinach Orzo. This recipe I will post later.
This is an ideal weeknight dish that is quick and nutritious! Don't have saltwater sea trout? Use another mild seafood in its place.
If you enjoy seafood, you'll love these recipes
Mediterranean Cod with Roasted Vegetables and Goat Cheese
Shrimp Stir Fry Italian Style - Appetizing one-pan Meal
Sheepshead - A Very Fine Catch for Fish Chowder
This is just a sampling of the delicious seafood recipes we on the blog. Check them out!
Tutti a tavola è pronto!
Un caro saluto e alla prossima.
YOU MAY ALSO NEED...
The following are affiliate links. As An Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sea Trout Piccata
This is a wonderful seafood dish you can make throughout the week and it takes no time at all. The spotted sea trout is a mild flavored fish that takes on the flavor of the salty capers, the citrusy brine, and the rich butter. It isn't heavy on calories, it's delightfully light and flavorful.
Next time try our Parmesan Broiled Flounder recipe. It's a delicious way to savor your seafood and it's very easy to make. This is the type of meal that non-seafood lovers will enjoy.
Spotted Sea Trout Piccata
- 8 sea trout fillets about 2 oz. each blotted dry and seasoned with ½ teaspoon each sea salt and black pepper
- 1 /4 cup all-purpose flour or more if needed
- 4 tsp. olive oil divided
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. capers drained and rinsed with water
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- Dredge fillets in flour - add more flour if needed but shake off excess. You want just a scant coating
- Heat 2 tsp. oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the fillets and cook until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer fillets to a platter; tent with foil. Repeat heating and cooking with remaining oil and fillets. Transfer these fillets to the platter also.
- Add wine, lemon juice, and capers to skillet; cook 30 seconds. Off heat, swirl in butter until it melts; season with ½ freshly ground pepper and ¼ tsp. sea salt.
- Serve fillets with sauce and your choice of side. Garnish each serving with parsley.
- My choice of a side was the Lemon and Spinach Orzo because I felt it a perfect companion for this dish.
- In the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region, the garnish is often sprinkled around the plate rather than on top of the dish. This way, a person can taste as much or as little of the added flavor he or she wants.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Promise
Note: Recipes and content from © 2014-2018 are copyright protected. Please do not use content or recipe without prior written permission. If you want to share the information please link to this post. Grazie!