If you love the spices in Mexican cuisine and could have only one seasoning and rub mix in your kitchen, it would be the Southwest Seasoning Spice Blend. This low salt blend enhances the flavor of chicken, vegetables, pork, wild game, and beef.
Our Thanksgiving turkey gets a healthy rubdown with this Tex-Mex spice.
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe…
- it gives everything you sprinkle a delicious Tex-Mex
- you can use it on chicken, fish, veggies, pork, beef, and wild game.
- it’s salt-free so shake as much as you want on your dish without over salting.
- lasts for up to six months in an air-tight container.
Southwest seasoning is the ultimate spice for the chili – taco lover. One jar of this delicious blend will have you seasoning all your dishes with that spicy mix.
These are all the ingredients you’ll need for the versatile mix. The exact amounts are listed in the recipe card below.
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Smoked Paprika
- Black Pepper
- Ground Coriander
- Cayenne Pepper
- Chipotle Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Kosher salt
- Dried Oregano
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Measure out the ingredients into a medium size bowl.
- With a large whisk blend the seasoning and spice mix.
- Store the dry rub and seasoning in an air-tight container and store at room temperature.
As An Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Medium size bowl – glass or metal is good. I like this bowl because it has a spout on it. Makes it easy to pour.
- A large whisk to blend – This insures that the spices and herbs are evenly mixed.
- A airtight glass container to store the Southwest seasoning. These hinged jars are handy for food storage. We have a case of them and I use them all the time.
You can make the Southwest seasoning and rub recipe as heat intensive as you like. Since it doesn’t have a lot of salt in the mix, you’ll need to taste when the dish is done and salt to your liking.
It’s just as easy to double and triple the recipe than to just make a single batch. Just make sure you keep the sealed jar in the pantry away from the light and heat.
Since we triple the recipe we store it in a fairly large air-tight glass container at room temperature.
We pour some of the mix in a lidded shaker that has large holes. You need the large holes so that the pepper flakes will pass on through.
It stores for about six months but we’ve never kept it that long. I wasn’t exaggerating when I said we use it a lot.
The spices we are using are chili powder, smoked paprika, ground coriander, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, chipotle powder, crushed red pepper, and salt and pepper.
Chili and taco seasoning are similar.
Chili seasoning and taco seasoning are fairly similar each having about 5-8 ingredients, sometimes more. The primary difference between the two is that chili seasoning will have a higher concentration of chili powder and paprika. Taco seasoning will likely have a higher amount of cumin.
🍽 Use with . . .
- Meats including pork, beef, wild game, chicken, turkey.
- In your favorite dishes.
- Macaroni and cheese.
- Pasta salads.
📚 Related Recipes
Southwestern Roast Turkey we first brine, bone the bird, then roast it. This is a delicious Thanksgiving tradition.
Smoked ribs get a thorough rub down with out special Tex-Mex blend before throwing them on the grill.
Beer Can Chicken needs a nice coat of Southwestern seasoning before sitting on its throne.
There are so many dishes we like to sprinkle with this unique spice-herb blend.
Just as an Italian kitchen has its special seasoning, we have our blend that is perfect for so many dishes.
This seasoning has a pleasant southwestern flavor. You would think that it would be very spicy with the cayenne, red pepper flakes, and black pepper but it’s not.
Southwest Seasoning and Rub is a favorite at our house, we hope that this recipe will be a favorite of yours too.
If you love this recipe, pleas give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
All Our Way Rub and Seasoning
- 4 Tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 Tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 2 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons dried oregano
- Medium size glass bowl for mixing.
- Whisk for blending.
- Air tight glass jar for storage.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a whisk. Place in a large shaker container and store at room temperature.
- Be sure your shaker lid has large holes so that the red pepper flakes can be sprinkled along with the rest of the ingredients.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We’ll never share your email or send you spam. Promise
This post was originally posted on May 19, 2014 and has been updated June 15, 2021 for reader experience.