Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
A light flavorful soup that is easy to make and perfect year round. The lemon gives it a fresh taste.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 hr 31 mins
Resting Time20 mins
Total Time1 hr 46 mins
- o1 4-pound whole chicken
- 2 carrots peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion peeled and sliced
- 6 garlic cloves crushed
- 4 sprigs fresh Italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/3 chopped carrot
- 1 1/4 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 Box 32 oz. Chicken Broth or Stock
- 8 ounces uncooked orzo rice-shaped pasta
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 2 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Lemon wedges optional
- Coarsely cracked black pepper optional
Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Place chicken in a large Dutch oven. Add the 2 chopped carrots, 2 chopped celery stalks, sliced onion, 6 garlic cloves, 4 sprigs parsley, whole black peppercorns, and bay leaves to pan. Add 6 cups water; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
Remove chicken from pan; place chicken in a colander over large bowl. Let it cool and drain for 20 minutes. Discard skin; remove chicken from bones, discard bones. Chop chicken into bite-size pieces; cover and chill in the refrigerator overnight. Strain broth mixture through a sieve into a large bowl; discard solids. Cool broth mixture to room temperature then cover and refrigerate overnight. Next day skim fat from surface and discard the fat.
In the Dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the chopped carrots, onions and celery. Saute the vegetables in the oil for 2 to 3 minutes. Measure the broth and add enough of the boxed chicken broth to measure 9 cups and add the salt. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add reserved chopped chicken and simmer 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Keep warm.
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt. Add pasta to pan with chicken and broth mixture; stir in parsley, rind, and juice.* Garnish and each serving with lemon wedges and cracked black pepper if desired.
- *We sometimes add 1 1/2 cups baby spinach along with the parsley, rind, and juice.
- Adapted from a Cooking Light recipe - December 2008
Serving: 8g | Calories: 327kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 566mg | Potassium: 406mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 3760IU | Vitamin C: 11.6mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1.5mg