Steak Diane - A Speedy Version
This Steak Diane recipe is a speedy version of the classic dish that was the rage in the 50's and 60's. The meat here is grilled and the sauce is made separately.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time12 mins
Total Time22 mins
- 2 New York strip steaks 8 oz. each, room temperature, trimmed and seasoned with salt and black pepper.
- 4 oz. baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth
- 1 cup low-sodium beef stock
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Heat outdoor grill to 500 F. Sear 1 1/4" steaks 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. If you like to see the grill marks at the two minute mark rotate 1/4 turn. At 4 minute mark turn over, wait 2 minutes and again rotate 1/4 turn. After an additional two minutes transfer to a plate and tent with foil. *
In a pan over medium-high heat ,saute the mushrooms, shallots, and pepper flakes in butter until mushrooms are golden and the moisture has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
Deglaze with the vermouth scraping up any brown bits; cook until nearly evaporated.
Stir in the stock with the 2 teaspoons minced rosemary, Dijon, Worcestershire, and any steak juices that may be on the plate; simmer until reduced to about 3/4 cup.
Whisk the sour cream and cornstarch into the sauce and reduce the heat to low. Simmer sauce until thickened; season with salt and pepper.
- * You can also make it inside by searing the steaks in 1 Tablespoon olive oil and 1 Tablespoon butter in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until medium-rare, about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer steaks to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm. Proceed with the sauce as above.
Serving: 2g | Calories: 661kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 50g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Cholesterol: 174mg | Sodium: 493mg | Potassium: 1107mg | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 12.1% | Calcium: 4.9% | Iron: 26.2%