Pasta Calamari Capri
This is an easy and inexpensive seafood dish but rich with the flavor of lemon, garlic, hot pepper flakes, capers, basil and grape tomatoes over pasta.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 pound pasta -- we used spaghetti -- be sure to cook just below al dente
- 1 pound frozen cleaned calamari rings or 1 pound fresh cleaned calamari sliced into rings.
- 2 ounce can of anchovies oil reserved (about 2 Tablespoons)
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 20 grape tomatoes halved
- 5 large garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon rinsed capers
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Small basil leaves to sprinkle on top
- Grated parmesan cheese for sprinkling on top
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, generously season with salt. Add the pasta and cook until just tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally. Drain the pasta and reserve 1/2 cup of the water.
Thaw out the frozen calamari by running cold water over the rings. Once they are thawed remove excess moisture by blotting with paper towels. This step can be omitted if using fresh calamari.
Meanwhile heat reserved oil from anchovies and the olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, crushed red pepper, anchovies, capers, lemon juice and stir 1 or 2 minutes. The anchovies will melt and disappear as they cook. Add the calamari and toss until opaque, about 1 more minute.With a slotted spoon remove the calamari from the pan. This prevents the seafood from overcooking and having the texture of rubber bands.
Add the dry white wine; boil until sauce is slightly reduced, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and continue to simmer for an additional 1 or 2 minutes.
Add the pasta to the mixture in skillet and toss. Toss until heated through and the sauce coats the pasta. Sprinkle in the lemon zest ,sliced basil leaves and calamari and toss again, about 2 minutes. If the pasta seems dry, add a small amount of the reserved water to the pasta.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and garnish with additional basil.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 717kcal | Carbohydrates: 96g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 276mg | Sodium: 646mg | Potassium: 922mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1135IU | Vitamin C: 26.4mg | Calcium: 127mg | Iron: 3.6mg