Smoky Spicy Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
A spicy bourbon barbecue sauce that is finger licking good. It isn't for the faint of heart, there is a kick from the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. It can be made milder.
Servings: 10 people
- 1 small onion
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- ¾ cup bourbon
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons molasses
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 ½ Tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from the chipotle peppers
- 1 teaspoon salt or to your taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or to your taste
- ¾ teaspoon red pepper flakes or to your taste
Combine onion, garlic, and bourbon in a deep saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Be careful the bourbon does not ignite!
Mix in the rest of the ingredients.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes. If you want a smooth sauce, strain through a fine mesh strainer or use an immersion blender.
It will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks.
- If you want to make the sauce milder -- eliminate the red pepper flakes and add just ½ teaspoon adobo sauce.
Calories: 128kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 883mg | Potassium: 358mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 396IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1mg