Fagioli al Forno - Italian Baked Beans
This is a savory bean dish that is flavored by fresh sage, garlic, onion, thyme and smoked meat. If you wish you can make the recipe without the meat.
Servings: 6 people
- 2 cans 15 oz. cannellini beans *
- 1 can 14 oz. fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 3 fresh sage leaves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 oz. smoked sausage cut in half and then into 1/4" half moons**
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz. dry pasta cooked according to package directions to just below al dente - it will continue to cook in the baked beans.
Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a Dutch oven heat the oil over medium heat and saute the garlic and sage leaves for 3-4 minutes until garlic is tender but not brown. Add the onions with the sprig of thyme. Continue to saute for another 5 minutes.
Stir in the smoked sausage and cook for another 2 minutes.
Add the fire roasted tomatoes and cook for 4 minutes. Pour in the beans with its juice and add the red pepper flakes.
Mix in the pasta and cover the dish with a lid or foil, and place in the center of the heated oven.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Remove the dish from the oven, stir the beans, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Return the beans to the oven, uncovered, and cook for another 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 7 - 8 minutes before serving. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- * We used one can of cannellini and one can of pinto beans.
- ** We used kielbasa just because we already had it.
Serving: 6g | Calories: 378kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 634mg | Potassium: 91mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 25IU | Vitamin C: 1.2mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 2.3mg