Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
A comforting homemade chicken soup like mamma used to make except it has an ingredient that kicks it up several notches -- Ro-tel tomatoes
Servings: 12 people
- Whole chicken about 3 ½ pounds
- 3 quarts cold water
- 3 sprigs Italian parsley
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 small onion
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 6-8 peppercorns
- Cooked Chicken
- 2 medium carrots sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano minced
- 1 teaspoon sage minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian parsley minced
- Salt to taste
- 1 can Ro-Tel Tomatoes 10 oz can or if you don't like it spicy use plain diced tomatoes
- 2 cups 2oz. homemade noodles or store bought.
Place chicken in a large soup pot with the cold water and the rest of the broth ingredients. Slowly bring the liquid to a boil then turn down to a simmer. Cover and simmer gently for about 1 ½ hours. Remove foam if some forms on top. It is important to let the broth cook slowly -- it will make for a clearer broth.
Remove chicken and place on a platter until you can remove chicken from the bones. Tear into bite size pieces. Strain the broth through a fine sieve -- you'll have about 2 ½ quarts.
In a Dutch oven heat the oil and sauté the carrots, celery and onion for about 3 minutes. Don't brown. Add the broth, chicken and herbs and simmer for about 30 minutes. Add the can of tomatoes and continue to simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
Whenever we add pasta or noodles to our soups we first cook the pasta or noodles in salted water and then add it to the soup. Don't overcook the pasta or the noodles. Once they go in the soup they'll continue to cook a bit more. You don't want mushy pasta/noodles.
Put the noodles into the soup and heat for an additional 2 -3 minutes.
Serve and enjoy.
A quick version when you don't have time:
- Use the meat from a rotisserie chicken and shred it into bite size pieces.
- Buy a good quality Chicken bone broth and use that for the stock.
- Add your favorite purchased noodles for the homemade.
- Follow the directions for the vegetables as written.
Calories: 59kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 624mg | Potassium: 172mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 4335IU | Vitamin C: 4.5mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 0.4mg