Southern Italian Grilled Tuna Steaks
These beautiful tuna steaks are first brushed with olive oil, seasoned, grilled then topped with a delicious fresh Southern Italian style sauce.
Servings: 4 people
- 4 tuna steaks 1" thick (see notes)***
- Extra virgin olive oil for brushing on the tuna steaks
- Freshly ground black pepper and kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1 cup dry vermouth may substitute dry white wine
- 2/3 cup Kalamata olives sliced
- 1/4 cup capers drained and rinsed in cold water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
Brush the tuna steaks with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat the grill to high and brush the cooking grates with oil or spray with vegetable spray before lighting the grill.
FOR THE SAUCE: Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat and cook the garlic for a minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for another couple of minutes. Add the vermouth and bring to a simmer for two minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients except for the parsley and simmer uncovered for 4 minutes. Stir in the parsley and remove from heat.
FOR THE TUNA:On the grill, sear the tuna steaks over high, direct heat for 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Do not over cook!! Tuna steaks should be rare to medium rare for the best taste and texture. *
Lightly tent the tuna steaks with foil and let them rest for 4 minutes. Slice against the grain and serve topped with the sauce.
*** For the two of us we made 2 1-inch thick tuna steaks but made the full sauce recipe. We like lots of sauce and we use it on other dishes.
- *The tuna steaks will continue to cook once they are off of the grill.
- Inspired by Kimberly Killebrew's recipe for Sicilian-Style Grilled Tuna Steaks at www.daringgourmet.com
Serving: 4g | Calories: 379kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 64mg | Sodium: 870mg | Potassium: 603mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 4660IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 3mg