Italian Antipasto Caprese Salad Recipe
A classic salad with soft, creamy fresh mozzarella cheese, juicy summer plump tomatoes, and fresh fragrant sweet basil. So simple to make. It's all about the ingredients.
Servings: 6 people
- 2 lbs. Mozzarella Cheese whole milk, sliced
- 4 Tomatoes washed and sliced
- 6 oz. Basil Fresh
- ¼ cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Black Pepper freshly ground
Starting in the middle of the plate begin arranging the slices like so: one slice of mozzarella, one slice of tomato one large leaf (or two small) of fresh basil.
Continue in a circle until all the ingredients are used and you have filled the plate in a spiral.
Season with Salt and Pepper to taste.
Pour the balsamic vinegar glaze and olive oil evenly over the salad. (This is optional because Classic Caprese Salad does not include a dressing or vinegar.)
Serve and enjoy immediately.
- For a superior Caprese Salad recipe, splurge on the juiciest tomatoes you can find. That's why summer tomatoes are the best for flavor and texture.
- Don't get the cheap mozzarella cheese for this salad. Grab a ball of the fresh, creamy cheese that is packed in water.
- If you have a basil plant in your garden that's all the better. The fresher and greener is all the better.
- No cheap olive oil for this recipe. You want excellent cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil to drizzle on top of the insalata.
- Although balsamic vinegar is not part of the classic insalata Caprese, a good balsamic glaze adds a sweet and tangy note to the dish.
- Flakey sea salt is perfect on the tomatoes as well as freshly ground black pepper.
- This salad is best served at room temperature.
Calories: 525kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 119mg | Sodium: 956mg | Potassium: 405mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3201IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 825mg | Iron: 2mg