Spicy Vegetable Italian Lentil Soup
The recipe for this rich and hearty Italian Lentil Soup Requires very little time, start to finish. It takes advantage of the lentils luscious state of tenderness. This is a humble soup made with the most humble of ingredients.
Servings: 10 people
- 7.5 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 14.5 oz diced roasted tomatoes with garlic canned
- 1 cup lentils, brown or green rinsed (check for stones and discard)
- 4 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 onion, large chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 2 carrots, large chopped
- 3 small red potatoes cut into small chunks
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- sea salt Quanto basta (to your taste)
- 12 oz spicy kielbasa sliced in half and in half moons.
- Parmesan rind (optional) if you have a piece, add it in.
- Grated Parmesan cheese and chopped Parsley for garnish
Heat the olive oil and butter in a large Dutch oven to medium heat. Add the onions, celery and carrots to the pot. Sprinkle with sea salt. Sauté for about 7 minutes until tender and the onions are golden in color.
Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
Add the wine and let simmer for a minute.
Pour in the chicken broth, tomatoes, potatoes, lentils and kielbasa.
Sprinkle in the parsley, basil, oregano, dill, bay leaves, and ground black pepper.
Add the Parmesan rind if you have it.
Cover the pot and simmer for 45 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
Serve with crusty bread.
Calories: 386kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 643mg | Potassium: 978mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2302IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 4mg