Roasted Chicken Vegetable Soup With Pasta Less Than 1 Hour
Roasted Chicken Vegetable Soup With Pasta is a heartier version of the Italian Minestra di pasta e piselli. We use already prepared roasted chicken and canned chicken and beef broth. You have a hearty delicious soup on the table in less than 1 hour.
Servings: 8 people
- 1 roasted chicken - the meat from 2 breasts and 2 thighs Or use leftover turkey.
- 2 Tablespoons butter + 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions or 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 12 basil leaves sliced into ribbons
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup finely diced carrots
- 1 fennel bulb finely diced
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1-10 oz. can Ro-tel tomatoes
- 45 oz. chicken broth
- 27 oz. beef broth
- 6 oz. ditalini pasta prepared according to package directions ***
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper****
- Lemon wedges
- green onions sliced (optional for garnish)
- freshly ground Parmesan cheese
Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot. Sauté the onions and garlic until soft and translucent.
Mix in the carrots, fennel, bay leaves, basil ribbons, Ro-tel tomatoes, and peas. Stir and bring to a simmer and continue to cook for about 8 to 10 minutes.
Add all the liquid and chicken. Bring to a simmer and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add the cooked ditalini and bring back up to a simmer.
Ladle into bowls and add a squeeze of lemon, and sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese.
This is a great recipe to use your leftover turkey. It's delicious and the meat is extra moist from the soup stock.
*** be sure not to overcook pasta because it goes into the soup.
**** be careful with the salt. The canned broth is already salted. Be sure to taste.
Calories: 605kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 54g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 158mg | Sodium: 1139mg | Potassium: 913mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 3135IU | Vitamin C: 25.7mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 3.9mg