Herbed Lemon Quinoa with Spinach
This is a healthy gluten free side that is taken up a notch by a mix of sauteed shallots, bright lemon, parsley, thyme and spinach.
Prep Time9 hrs 5 mins
Cook Time9 hrs 5 mins
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa - rinsed and drained
- 2 3/4 cups chicken low-sodium broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 medium shallots finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 cups baby spinach sliced
bring 2 3/4 cups chicken broth to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan. Stir in quinoa, salt, and pepper; reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat; let sit 5 minutes; uncover and fluff with fork; keep warm.
Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat; add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in zest and juice and simmer for 1 minute; remove from heat. Add the quinoa, baby spinach, thyme, parsley and stir until thoroughly combined. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Inspired by the April 7, 2015 post by Saveur's "Herbed Lemon Quinoa"