Herbed Lemon Quinoa with Spinach
This is a healthy gluten free side that is taken up a notch by a mix of sauteed shallots, bright lemon, parsley, thyme and spinach.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 6 people
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa - rinsed and drained
- 2 3/4 cups chicken low-sodium broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 medium shallots finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 cups baby spinach sliced
bring 2 3/4 cups chicken broth to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan. Stir in quinoa, salt, and pepper; reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat; let sit 5 minutes; uncover and fluff with fork; keep warm.
Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat; add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in zest and juice and simmer for 1 minute; remove from heat. Add the quinoa, baby spinach, thyme, parsley and stir until thoroughly combined. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Inspired by the April 7, 2015 post by Saveur's "Herbed Lemon Quinoa"
Calories: 269kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 47mg | Potassium: 471mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1360IU | Vitamin C: 10.8mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 3mg