Mediterranean Salad Grain Salad with Gorgonzola
A healthy, high-fiber grain salad with delicious vegetables, fresh herbs and a light lemony vinaigrette perfect for a summer meal.
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
FOR THE SALAD HEAT
- 1 1/4 cup chicken stock can use water or a combination of both
- 1/2 cup farro or use 1/2 cup freekeh
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter or olive oil
- 3/4 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced English cucumber
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh Italian parsley
- 2 Tbsp. each minced fresh chives and cilantro
- Gorgonzola crumbles for topping
- Kalamata olives as many as you like
- Bibb or Buttercrunch lettuce washed and patted dry for salad bowls
For the vinaigrette, whisk together lemon juice, 3 Tbsp. oil, and honey; season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Measure the 1/2 cup farro into a fine mesh sieve and rinse with cold water. Drain. Transfer the farro to a saucepan and add the stock and salt to the pan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 25-30 minutes, until it is softened but still chewy. If there is liquid remaining in the pan, drain it off and save it to use with soup, stew or sauce. Use a fork to gently fluff in the butter or olive oil. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Toss the farro, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, parsley, chives, and cilantro with vinaigrette; season with salt and freshly ground pepper. For the best flavor let the salad stand 15 minutes or even better overnight.
Arrange the salad leaves to form 2 bowls. Divide the grain salad between the two bowl and sprinkle with Gorgonzola and arrange the Kalamata olive around the salad.
- For a Greek taste: Brush 7 oz. halloumi cheese, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Grill covered, until it's heated through, about 2 minutes per side, then dice and add to the other ingredients and toss.
- Adapted: Cuisine Fast & Fresh Summer Meals for Two Summer 2016.
Calories: 242kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 116mg | Potassium: 297mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 820IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1.4mg