We are in a breakfast rut so we decided that starting with a recipe such as Breakfast Baked Oatmeal with Blueberries and Bananas is going to help change that boring routine. Yessiree!! Monday and Thursday will no longer be oatmeal with nuts topped with protein powder mixed with yogurt. Tuesday and Friday won’t be homemade granola topped with protein powder mixed with yogurt. Wednesday and Saturday won’t be bagels with peanut butter and honey. Sunday, our special break out of the routine day, will no longer be two fried eggs and toast.
For more than twenty years, you could have guessed what day of the week it was, just by what we ate for breakfast. How boringly predictable! Now you’d think since we love to cook, we love to eat, and we love to write about food, that we would have come up with some interesting recipes and variations for breakfast, wouldn’t you? Well , our breakfast baked oatmeal with fruit, coconut and nuts is just the beginning.
The recipe was easy to make in a big casserole dish and prepare the night before. In the morning all we did was warm it. It tasted delicious with a dollop of whipped cream on the top. What a win-win for us! It tasted great and it saved us time. I doubled the recipe and came out with a total of 18 servings. Wouldn’t this be just the dish if you were having company for a breakfast or brunch?
Our Breakfast Baked Oatmeal with Blueberries and Bananas recipe is just the start. We are going to make our breakfasts exciting. Our morning meal is going to by as tantalizing as our lunch and dinner. No more “blah”. No more ho hum. No more being able to tell what day of the week it is by our breakfast. If you like breakfast casseroles you may like Smoked Salmon Breakfast. We make it every year for brunch Christmas morning. What is your favorite breakfast or brunch?
Tutti a tavola è pronto!
Un caro saluto e alla prossima.
- 4 1/2 cups rolled oats ( not instant)
- 1 cup walnut pieces, toasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 4 scoops vanilla protein powder -- ours is lightly sweetened. If you use unsweetened, increase the brown sugar to 2/3 cup
- 2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Scant 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 4 cups almond milk
- 2 large eggs
- 5 Tablespoons melted coconut oil and cooled slightly
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 ripe bananas, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups blueberries ( or berries of choice)
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted coconut
- Preheat the oven to 375 F with a rack in the top third of the oven. Generously butter the inside of a 15 x 10 baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix together the oats, half the walnuts, the sugar, the baking powder, cinnamon, protein powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- Arrange the bananas in a single layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle 2/3 of the berries over the top. Cover the fruit with the oat mixture. slowly drizzle the milk mixture over the oats. Gently tap the baking dish several times on the countertop to make sure the milk mixture fills in through the oats. Scatter the remaining berries and remaining walnuts across the top. Sprinkle the toasted coconut over the walnuts and berries.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the tip is nicely golden and the oat mixture has set. A toothpick stuck in the middle of the dish should come out moist but not runny. If the top is browning too quickly loosely top with aluminum foil.
- Drizzle with some maple syrup if you want it a bit sweeter or sweetened whipped cream. The second time we ate this for breakfast we mixed a scoop of protein powder with 1/3 cup plain yogurt and put it over both our oatmeal bake.
- We doubled the recipe and froze the extra. If you like you can easily halve the recipe and make this in a 8-in square baking dish.
- Adapted from a Heidi Swanson recipe from: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/baked-oatmeal-365069
Note: Recipes and content from ©All Our Way is copyright protected. Please do not use content or recipe without prior written permission. If you want to share the information please link to this post. Grazie.